Author Topic: If you want an ugly job,do this...  (Read 394 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

If you want an ugly job,do this...
« on: May 24, 2003, 01:37:10 pm »
Finally decided to fix my leaky transfer case. (check www.vfaq.com if you dont know this problem) It is greasy and oily and gross under my car!

I tried getting RTV sealant into the yoke, but then decided to try the JB Weld on the outside instead. It seamed to go on easier (a little), but I think that the quick stuff would have been better. I also picked up a new rear seal for the tranfer case ( $12.00)

One interesting thing. After I pulled the d-shaft from the t-case, no fluid came out, and I wasn't able to drain it due to no 24mm socket. So, how much fluid could have been left?

It is difficult working under the car without removing the yolk, so if you need to do this, you may want to remove it from the shaft and work on it somewhere else.

Check your transfer cases! The dealer said that mine was done under recall, but it sure as hell was still leaking.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 09:48:23 am »
Jason, the recall is for the life of the car, GET THEM TO DO IT AGAIN :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 06:20:57 pm »
Thanks John.

Yeah. I know. I just don't have the energy to deal with lieing pinheads. They piss me off sooo much. Its obviuosly leaking and they would come up with lame ass excuse as to why its not their fault / its been fixed / insert bullshit here

Just a note. The carrier bearings have spacers hiding in them. When I took the driveshaft out, the little spacers, nuts ,washers and insulaters went everywhere! Just a word of caution.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"