Author Topic: Massive oil burning/leaking- car's been sitting  (Read 473 times)

Offline Mike Schmid

Massive oil burning/leaking- car's been sitting
« on: May 11, 2003, 08:03:09 pm »
Here's the deal, the car sat all winter, I started it up and warmed it up periodically (once a month maybe).  Anyways, I think the valve seals were a little gone when I put it away... Now... I got her all ready for re-insurance and I took her for a spin around the block and filled the alley with a huge James Bond smokescreen...  :oops:

Question is... What do you figure the problem is and what's the solution?  I think it's the valve seals that are half worn out coupled with sitting and drying out for 5 months.  You think they'll suck it back up and start sealing half decent again?  I mean, it used to leave a little smoke but you could hardly tell from inside the car that it was leaving smoke, now though... well... you can hardly see the road behind you through the smoke.  Don't tell me I need all new seals...
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 09:43:30 pm »
Satan's list price = $9 X 16 = ouch  :evil:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 11:29:53 am »
Ouch... that's brutal... oh well, I have a motor back home in BC with 100k kms on it so if push comes to shove I'll get that.  But it needs a Tbelt and I want to do some '94 TSi 5spd cams when I do that, then clean it up nice and put a header on it.  We're working on my buddy's car this afternoon so I'll fire it up and leave it run a while when we're out there...
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 11:38:00 am »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
We're working on my buddy's car this afternoon so I'll fire it up and leave it run a while when we're out there...

Have a quart or two of oil on hand just in case.  If you're gonna be runnin 'er and she's burnin THAT much oil ... you don't want to run it dry and do some other damage.  Been-there-done-that ... but with my rad and a small leak.

-Andrew
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)