Author Topic: Axle shaft removal HELP PLEASE  (Read 581 times)

Trevor Lynch-Staunton

Axle shaft removal HELP PLEASE
« on: May 02, 2003, 09:39:24 pm »
Ok,  I have done this procedure on my previous car and it went alright.  It was tough but nothing like this.  I am trying to get the axle shaft out.  I borrowed a slide hammer puller from Cambodian Tire and put this on the lugs and try and hammer out the shaft (yes I removed the companion flange to axle shaft nut)  It won't come.  Any suggestions?  I am thinking of trying a puller on the companion flange side, I am thinking it will put pressure on the axle shaft and I can use the slide hammer on the other side to get this @#$@ thing from both sides!  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 09:42:39 am »
Bolt an old rotor inside out using ALL the wheel nuts and then using a 20T 3 jaw puller press the axle out.

In a pinch I have used a sledge hammer but you'll need to semi install the retainer nut so you don't crush the end of the axle.

The puller for me has been most effective.....

Lowell Foo

Re: Axle shaft removal HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 12:15:33 pm »
Quote from: "Trevor Lynch-Staunton"
Ok,  I have done this procedure on my previous car and it went alright.  It was tough but nothing like this.  I am trying to get the axle shaft out.  I borrowed a slide hammer puller from Cambodian Tire and put this on the lugs and try and hammer out the shaft (yes I removed the companion flange to axle shaft nut)  It won't come.  Any suggestions?  I am thinking of trying a puller on the companion flange side, I am thinking it will put pressure on the axle shaft and I can use the slide hammer on the other side to get this @#$@ thing from both sides!  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

We just had a car in the shop where the front axle wouldn't come out with a 40T press.  Had to heat the whole thing up and change the wheel bearing and seals.  
Were you the guy posting on DSMtalk about rear wheel bearings?  Companion flange sounds like a rear bearing...

Trevor Lynch-Staunton

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 05:51:25 pm »
Yep I was on DSMtalk, and it was the rear bearing.  I didn't get it apart.  I ended up putting the thing back together.  I need it done though.  I will probably take it to a shop and get it done now, hopefully they don't charge me too much because it is so stuborn.  I am in Kelowna or I would bring it to you, Lowell.

I might have to remove the whole trailing arm and then put it on a press.

I don't understand Ryan's post about the backwards rotor.  I have an old rotor but what do you press the puller against?  If it is a typical three jaw puller then the center must push on something but the axle is solid so it would be just pressing against itself.  This is an AWD if that helps.

Thanks
Trevor

Lowell Foo

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 06:06:59 pm »
Quote from: "Trevor Lynch-Staunton"
Yep I was on DSMtalk, and it was the rear bearing.  I didn't get it apart.  I ended up putting the thing back together.  I need it done though.  I will probably take it to a shop and get it done now, hopefully they don't charge me too much because it is so stuborn.  I am in Kelowna or I would bring it to you, Lowell.

I might have to remove the whole trailing arm and then put it on a press.

I don't understand Ryan's post about the backwards rotor.  I have an old rotor but what do you press the puller against?  If it is a typical three jaw puller then the center must push on something but the axle is solid so it would be just pressing against itself.  This is an AWD if that helps.

Thanks
Trevor

The backwards rotor thing was in reference to a front axle where it goes through the hub.  I have tools here to change wheel bearings on the car, and if you can find a local shop that can do that, it might be worth it to go that route.  Otherwise take the trailing arm off and take it to the nearest guy with a press.  (along with beer)

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 09:27:27 pm »
Sorry for the confusion I caused...

Lowell right, Ryan wrong... :laugh: