Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Q.  (Read 794 times)

Offline Travis Merrick

Clutch Pedal Q.
« on: May 01, 2003, 08:31:44 am »
Alright, I believe my master or slave may be toast, does this sound like it.

Over the past 3 days I have noticed that I need to put the clutch right into the floor to have it engage, i can sit there at a light and pump it for about 10-15 times and it will be a bit better for a while, but it is very hard to get it engaged in 1st and 2nd gear, about 1/2" close to the floor is where I have to put it.

Anyone know what this may be?
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 10:16:28 am »
Hey there Travis.  To check your slave cylinder all you have to do is pull back the rubber acordian hose over the slave rod to see if there is any brake fluid leaking out.  

As for the master cylinder you just have to get on your back and place your head right where the gas pedal so that you could see master cylinder rod.  If you can see any brake fluid around the rod then the master cylinder is toast.

While you're on your back you could adjust the master cylinder rod out to give you a little more throw.  

Some other things you could adjust are the starter kill switch and the cruise control switches.  Just twist them out so that they don't interfere with the clutch pedal but still engage properly.

Oh yeah, you could also try bleeding the clutch.  To make this easier you could get the speed bleeder things from Lordco.  They are the same size as the single piston brake caliper ones.

Hope this helps.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Travis Merrick

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 11:41:28 am »
Now I hear people saying that the clutch doesnt engage cause of the master and slave, are these directly related to the tranny, cause you said the slave cylinder has brake fluid leaking out of it, or does the tranny run off the same vaccum and what not as the braking system?

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Vlad Busta

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 01:06:42 pm »
The master and slave are a separate system from the braking system.  The clutch master cylinder is supposed to be filled with dot 3 brake fluid, same as the brake system.  

The only thing that the clutch master and slave cylinders do with the tranny is to actuate the clutch fork.

Does this clear things up?

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Travis Merrick

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 01:35:12 pm »
i can see the light! the fog has disepated and im seeing everything so clear.  Better watch out for that rock, might hit it.

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Vlad Busta

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 02:19:47 pm »
Glad to hear that Travis.  You might want to also check out the taboospeedshop website and also the rre site for info on the clutch system and adjustments.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Travis Merrick

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 09:54:00 am »
is the slave cylinder the same thing in the manual as the clutch release cylinder, im guessing it is.  I just checked last night and there is no fluid in the resevoir, i have a leak somewhere, im staying home to try and find it and replace t, seems sorta easy.  Do you have to bleed it?

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Travis Merrick

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 10:19:50 am »
Located the oil leak, it is comming from inside the car, would this be the Master Cylinder, take that whole piece out and it is just one unit, the clutch release cylinder is on the tranny right?

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Vlad Busta

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 10:53:26 am »
Hey there Travis, no clutch fluid in the clutch master cylinder means clutch no worky. :laugh:

Yes, you will need to replace the master cylinder and bleed the clutch again.  Make sure you bleed it really well otherwise you won't be able to put it into gear, just ask Damian.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline John Hartman

Clutch Pedal Q.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 05:34:32 pm »
while you are at it, do the slave too.  I did both of mine, and it made a world of difference in shift quality.

And while you are bleeding etc, you may as well do both.  Bleed enough fluid thru the system so that you are using all new fluid.

2 cautions, brake fluid will DESTROY your paint.  And don't let the fluid level in the master cyl get below 1/4 or you will suck in air, and have to start all over again.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods