Author Topic: Squeaky front brakes  (Read 754 times)

Offline John Hartman

Squeaky front brakes
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 06:42:09 pm »
you drove the new pads on the old rotors. Probably need to take those pads out, put a piece of heavy grit sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the pads on them till they are flat.

If not, give a look elsewhere, maybe not brake noise?

then again, some pads just bloody well squeal.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Lore

Squeaky front brakes
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 11:12:47 pm »
Brake noises can be deceiving, try driving along and gently drag the rears via the handbrake, it is possible that they could be the sqeaky ones

Offline Kevin Chan

Squeaky front brakes
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 12:04:29 am »
Quote from: "Ryan Lore"
Brake noises can be deceiving, try driving along and gently drag the rears via the handbrake, it is possible that they could be the sqeaky ones

I did that, but it's the fronts...
I'll try taking them off and sand them down...

If all else doesn't work, does anybody know where can I get a adaptor plate to mount the Cobra calipers?  :laugh:
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Offline Jason Naamani

Squeaky front brakes
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 03:36:38 am »
Quote from: "Kevin Chan"
I just had the same thing, and I changed the pads, but it didn't change a thing... so it must be the discs for me. :( what can I do? the stop squeel thing that bonds with the disc surface to make it smooth? where can I get them and which one should I buy???

Harder high-performance compunds tend to be a little bit noisier than OE type compounds. Do you know if the pads you're currently using came with anti-squeal shims? Not too sure if this is what you're asking, but Stop Squeal is a silicone-like compund which can be used in lieu of or in conjunction with anti-squeal shims. It is applied to the backing of the pad where it comes into contact with the caliper. You can buy it at any automotive store (Canadian Tire, Lordco etc.). As for efficacy between differing brands, unfortunately I do not have experience with anything other than Stop Squeak (I think it's called). It worked, but the brakes I had at that time were useless pieces of garbage to begin with. With regards to your rotors, if they are glazed, that may cause squeal. As John stated earlier, this can be corrected by having them machined, it only costs like $60 or something like that.
8 TALON TSi AWD