Author Topic: Pulling motor soon! Need advice  (Read 704 times)

Offline Scott Girvin

Pulling motor soon! Need advice
« on: April 28, 2003, 01:47:20 am »
Here's the story, I had head work ,a couple of goodies and the timing belt done at L&R a month ago. The car ran great for a while and now its puffing blue again and has a noisy lifter. So I'm pulling the motor and sending it for a full overhaul on tuesday. I have 207,000kms on the motor so it's time. Does anyone have any good info on removing the engine? I have read the vfac a million times over, but does anyone know of any other web based info? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh ya........ I borrowed a G-Tech today to see what the old lady would do.....

E.T.         MPH

14.08       108
13.62       112
13.73       111
13.71       111

I spun too much on the first run, sometimes I wished I had AWD. I cant wait for the new motor!!!!

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 09:30:04 am »
My motor came out real easy the couple times I've pulled it and then when I pulled my part's cars motor it was easy too.  When pulling any motor just go around the motor and disconnect everything after draining the fluids.  It's usually a good idea to label all the wiring plugs so they go back in the right spots but it's not always necessary.  

You will have to disconnect:

*Fuel, intake and return, bleed pressure first
*Electrical, all over, I found it easiest to take the injector plugs off and the TB ones and everything else on that big plastic covered run that goes along the intake manifold then leave all that wiring in car.
*P/S, pressure and return
*A/C-you might be able to remove the compressor and leave it in the car and not bleed all the lines.  
Throttle cable
*Exhaust @ downpipe
*Coolant, rad hoses, heater hoses
*IC pipes
*Vacuum lines
*Motor Mounts
And anything else you find that's hooked to the motor.

When you jack it out just go slow and easy and if it gets hung up don't start using brute force, take a good look around and make sure you didn't miss a wire or a hose or ground strap or something.  Or... that you don't have a motor mount or something that jammed up underneath a brake line or whatever.  and it should come out fine.  When it's up in the air and free drop the car down off your jack stands so you don't snag the oil pan when you roll the motor away.  And keep the motor as low as possible on the cherry picker, they're a little tipsy sometimes.  

To keep the car and everything else clean pick up some surgical gloves, I suppose condoms would work too, and put them over the lines that'll leak oil and coolant and junk then rubber band them on.  Especially the P/S, you should only have to top it up when you put it back together and it'll save you draining the whole p/s and then bleeding it.  Ziptie all the lines up somewhere too.

Happy wrenching  8)
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 11:25:26 am »
Remember to get the ever popular, you sitting in engine bay shot :laugh:

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 05:56:42 pm »
You should shave your head, talk in a real deep voice and pretend to be installing a huge FMIC while you do it too   :D

And say stuff like, "granny shifting, not double clutching like you should"   :laugh:
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 06:45:55 pm »
*shaves head*
**deep voice on**

Well son,  I'll be yankin' that ol mill out there real soon m'self.......

*applies minoxidil*
** normal voice on**

I might be hoisting as early as this weekend.   I just make the various sacrifices to gain the favours of the machine shop gods, the race shop gods and the shipping gods...

** oh yeah, saying stuff like  "running the blower 13 under" and other redneck crap **
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 06:57:47 pm »
you don't need to disconnect the power steering pump or the A/C. I just tied the power steering pump over to the side and tied the other end of the rope to the spring on the suspension. As for the A/C just undo the four mounting bolts and tie it over towards the firewall and keep an eye on it while you lift the motor. One of the lines runs over top of the rear engine mount so you have to hold it out of the way. You do NOT want to disconnect any lines from the A/C compressor as you can no longer obtain the old freon to refill it, unless of course you have the new system or know someone, that just happens to have some of the old stuff kickin around.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 11:39:30 pm »
Getting off topic but... Cole, you can easily and legally get a florohydrocarbon coolant called "Glacier Gold" out of Sask. that will blend with either R12 or R134a. I put some in last summer and it was nice and cold for two days till it leaked out. :cry:

Here is the website in case you ever need it:  Glacier Gold

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 09:22:36 am »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
You should shave your head, talk in a real deep voice and pretend to be installing a huge FMIC while you do it too   :D

And say stuff like, "granny shifting, not double clutching like you should"   :laugh:

haha this is a hilarious thread how come I havent read it yet :?

good luck getting the beast outta there, I learned so much the first time I was around an engine removal :laugh:
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 02:32:40 am »
The engine is out :) took me about 5 hours,7 beer, 11 cigarettes and about a quart or two of blood :oops: I am sending the motor to L&R today to get it rebuilt. Anyone know how much a new harmonic balancer is? Mine is chiped in a couple of spots. Also, one of the bolts in the transaxle to transaxle mount broke. It broke off the actual bump in the top of the transaxle that was threaded. Do ya think I can get away with only one?

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 08:17:04 pm »
As I was parting through the motor I found a couple of BAD things.................the a/c tensioner pulley bearing was shot and made an imprint in the timing cover. The oil pass in the valve cover is hanging down on one end. Four of the rivets poped off. That was problaby the ticking sound I could hear. There is a bit of fresh wear on it. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the cover? I am just going to leave the a/c unhooked, I never use it anyway.

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 08:40:44 pm »
I bought a balancer recently from Eastway Satan for $147