Author Topic: cd player install  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Eric Ringrose

cd player install
« on: April 27, 2003, 04:53:48 pm »
I'm sure many of you have installed cd players into your dsms....i'm having trouble with mine. everything works fine but the clock and all my settings dont save when i turn my car off....and the deck wont play when the car is on ACC....like it did on my sentra. the cd player is the panasonic one with the tilting face and fold out centre speaker, so it's super annoying having the tilted face freeze when the car turns off.
The red ACC wire coming off my deck leads into a blue wire...and i dont think that's right... i hooked the red ACC up to a red wire i found back there and it was all the same problems......
Anyone know what color the acc wire should hook up to?

any help would be great

Offline John Hartman

cd player install
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 05:20:13 pm »
I don't know what wires go exactly where, but there should be a wire that is key-on power and a wire that is always power.  The key on power is for the deck itself, to play music etc.  you want this to only come on when the key is on so that you wont forget to shut it off and kill your battery.

The constant  power one is for the presets, tone control and clock etc.  This one is a constant source of power whenever the battery is connected to the car.

Panasonic is a total ass pirate to deal with tho, they would not give me a manual or even let me download one.  they would not even tell me how to set my clock for gods sake!!  They told me that they had a downloadable manual but I had to pay $15 US for it!!

So I don't know where to get you the info on which wire it is, but you need those 2 hooked up, and I think you only have the key-on power hooked up.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
cd player install
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 06:32:26 pm »
If 1G
Blue = ACC
Green/White = ILL
Black/Yelllow = Dimmer
Red/Black = 12V batt.
LF+ = White/Blue
LF- = Black/Blue
RF+ = White/Red
RF- = Black/Red
LR+ = Yelow/Blue
LR- = Grey/Blue
RR+ = Yellow/Red
RR- = Grey/Red

If I remember correctly when I did mine I had the same probelm and it was because the blue wire was too wimpy. I used the cig lighter ACC wire and used the opportunity to run constant power to the Cig lighter via a  12 gauge jumper from my 8-gauge amp line because I like it better that way anyway  8)

Offline Eric Ringrose

cd player install
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 07:14:02 pm »
fixed

thanks for the help, i talked to a car audio forum and the leader guy said i had the power wire hooked up wrong....so i look again,and the "guy" who installed the audiovox deck that it came with....wired the thing up so poorly. i ran a 14g fused wire from the battery to my 12V+ lead on my deck and now it works great
(didnt realize how small the hatch area was for subs damn!)

Offline Jeremy Clarke

cd player install
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 07:38:55 pm »
You could easily fit 4 12's in there and still keep full vision out the back. Glad you've solved it.

Offline John Hartman

cd player install
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 08:45:31 pm »
good to hear :)

AWD cars have no room, what with that hump in there
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

cd player install
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 11:15:22 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that  :laugh:

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
cd player install
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 08:34:14 am »
it's all about fibreglass boxes...

right now i've got a temp box with 2 12's in the back of mine... LOTSA room still... goona have 3 12's with half a trunk left to spare once i fibreglass it all...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

cd player install
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 11:21:30 am »
I don't know about fiberglass :? Call me old school, but I still trust my 3/4 MDF with silicone sealed screwed butt joints. :laugh:

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
cd player install
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 11:37:52 am »
old school

it's all about chop-strand guns'.... woot

Offline Andrew Scott

cd player install
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 01:04:00 pm »
Anyone who chops up stock wiring like the guy who owned the car before you deserves to be shot!

Application specific wiring harnesses are like 12 bucks, and save you crazy amounts of time!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
cd player install
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 02:30:37 pm »
they do deserve to be shot however i believe that i almost did that to my harness

i got 2 differnent harnesses that were "made for" our cars, but none worked

finally i got a wiring harness from the industrial place in Port Kells (damn the name of it slips my mind). It's the place where all shops get their materials from.

Offline John Hartman

cd player install
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 08:41:39 pm »
yea the dork who wired in my deck autta be pissed on too.  I just ran nice wire and soldered all the joints. Its all new wire now, no connectors.

Offline Andrew Scott

cd player install
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 12:30:28 am »
Hmm, I got one from a&b sound and it worked fine... strange!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Mike Schmid

cd player install
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 08:54:29 am »
I never had a probelm in my Laser with the wiring adaptor.  Plugged in great.  Th eonly time I've ever had a problem with one of those adapters is with my sister's '88 Turbo Tbird with the premium stereo.  The power side of the plug worked fine but I had to do my own custom job on the speaker wires because it runs an amp that's in the trunk, so I had to run wire from the deck to the amp then splice into the speaker wires to bypass Ford's amp.  

I still use the power side wiring harness on the laser but the speaker side is since redone with nicer wire on my own runs to bypass the dash/door cross over.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*