Author Topic: Vibration at high speeds  (Read 640 times)

Offline George Myshlyayev

Vibration at high speeds
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:04:41 pm »
I get this slight vibration in the steering wheel, very slight, as i pass through 125-135km/h zone.  after which it goes away.  i had this problem for a while now.  I thought I had to balance my wheels but after I had it done (brand new wheels and tires) the problem remains exactly the same.  Any ideas what else it could be?
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name
Boost very well by reputation ;)

Danny Bouliane

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 07:11:23 pm »
i have a simmilar problem, it shakes around 115-130 and smooths out above that..
my best guess is a cv axle...

Offline mitchell hamilton

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 08:40:49 pm »
Rotors, driveline u-joints, alignment... take your pick :D
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 08:43:14 pm »
I have the same problem as well on my red car with the 19's. However it's not bad enough for me to worry about.

I hear hub centric rings can solve the problem.

Offline Wayne Barbaza

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 10:24:11 pm »
where'd you get the balancing done? I've been told you gotta be picky with the actual machine they use because it makes a difference.  My co-worker said to do it at places that use the hunter 9700/roadforce machines.

just an idea...

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:45:04 am »
i had it done at advanced automotive on no.6 rd, im pretty confident it's done properly.  ive had the same problem with 2 different sets of wheels so its clearly not the problem with wheels.

hub rings? what exactly do they do?
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name

Offline Ritchie Hui

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 03:56:23 am »
hub rings make it so the wheel sits perfectly on the center hub of the rotor/axel (dunno how else to explain it)
Jackstand Racing now promoted to Garage Queen

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:36:00 am »
hmm well that i guessed but i wonder if it's really that significant?
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name

Offline Kimyee Lai

Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 09:00:07 am »
Do you have aftermarket wheels?  Make sure that the center bore fits tight against the hub.  Most rims are overbored and come with various sized centering rings to fit different cars.

Is it significant?  Yes.  Most wheel bolts/stud holes have some clearance, making it possible to slightly offset the wheel from center.  This then shows up as vibration.  A centering ring eliminates the chances of the wheel being off center.  My wheel -> centering ring -> hub fits are all interference fits.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
Vibration at high speeds
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 12:51:53 pm »
Wornout ball joints is the most common problem, either steering or lower control arm.

Usually you can troubleshoot it by lifting the car and trying to move the wheel(s), while steering wheel is locked, sideways/backforth if any movement is found that joints are gone.

Since you vibration is minor, you probably won't notice anything, but if you never replaced the steering joints it's a good idea to do them first.

Art