Author Topic: Warped Head? How can i tell for sure?  (Read 602 times)

Colin Sharpe

Warped Head? How can i tell for sure?
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:10:15 pm »
Hey guys, well i am back from alberta for alittle bit cause i broke my hand. anyways I wanna get my talon back on the road, it hasnt been on the road since it died in nanaimo.. was overheating and almost positive warped my head, how do i know for sure?

Thanx
Colin

Colin Sharpe

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:13:38 pm »
wont start has fuel, spark. but compression in almost nothing. honed all cylinders put new rings in????? relapped all valves. and leakdown test showed air coming outta all the cylinders when it was in just one.??? :?

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 09:59:04 pm »
well to check for warpage, you take a precision straight edge and lay the hard edge, not as if you'd look at it to measure something, and put it diagonally across the head, then using feeler gauges check for any low spots.  Then move the straight edge diagonally the other way and vertically and horizontally and measure at ever gasket mating surface using feeler gauges of course.

Standard - .002"

Service Limit - .008"
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:08:21 am »
Both the block and head should be checked to be sure

Colin Sharpe

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 12:30:02 pm »
yah I ll have to do both. I am getting kind of sick and tired playing with this engine... I might just buy a Jdm and drop it in till i figure out what the deal is with this engine. thanx for all the info guys.. Its a little tricky ripping the head off when i have a cast and broken hand so i ll see what i can do while i am gone. Thanx

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 12:50:58 pm »
I love my JDM motor as most ppl on this board know. But if you just rebuilt your entire motor just buy a new head. L&R should have one, Frank at Top End has given me a couple for cheap in the past. Also Blue Paciffic Machine shop can get u and make u whatever u want and make sure all the machining is mint and awesome. I love thoise guys. A JDM will cost over a $1000 or more for just the motor and it will take ya a day and a half to RR the motor. A head will cost ya around $400 and take 6 -7-8 hours depending on tour skill level.

I'd just go for the head since u have prob just slaped a ton of money in block already. It does sound like your head is warped. i know my first motors head was just warped ta F@#$. Good luck
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Colin Sharpe

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 02:21:34 pm »
Yah I am gonna rip the head off.. i would bet i have wasted like 3 brand new headgaskets. from thinking wicked the car should run... and then o way nope another 100 bucks down the drain... fuckin headgaskets. anyways I ll see what happens the motors been rebuilt twice (N) its actually ryan lores oldblock before he got the stroker so theres a few goodies in it.   doesnt help when you get a kink in your boost gauge line while your tuning your boost and end up over boosting your brand new motor.. smart like rock i say. anyways lets waste a 4th headgasket(Y)

Colin Sharpe

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 04:20:48 pm »
well head is off in about an hour and 15 mins... with a broken hand . only shitty part nobody to help me lift it off.. so it was the screaming in pain all in head grab... hand isnt happy with me now. anyways will take it to the machine shop on monday see what they have to say. still might buy a new motor just cause. its always nice to have an extra motor sittin around

Colin Sharpe

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 09:26:58 pm »
Anyone wanna guess how warped my head was?

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 10:04:15 pm »
80 thou
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Colin Sharpe

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 10:43:09 pm »
Nope 14 thou but still alot

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 11:58:57 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
80 thou

oooh, look at me, I respond to rhetorical questions.  I'm such a post whore.  My name is Martin.

Plus, even if it wasn't rhetorical, you're still a post whore. :wink:
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 11:06:05 am »
You're just jelous of the fact I will be a bigger man than you in a few days when I surpass you in number of posts.

And besides, if I didn't answer the thread would have sunk to the bottom without an answer, and I was curious.  That or John or Graeme would have done answered the rhetorical question, and god knows they have their fair share of posts.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]