Author Topic: pillar pod no fitty!!  (Read 601 times)

shaun friesen

pillar pod no fitty!!
« on: February 07, 2005, 11:17:10 pm »
okay, i'm sure most of you guys have incountered this problem.  i bought a single pillar pod for a 1g talon and it won't fit even close.  so i was thinking about taking a heat gun to it or just fiberglass it so theres no seems.  but i'm kinda thinking fiberglass might not stick to the plastic.  what do u guys think?  anybody tryed this?  also, anybody have a spare tan pillar i can buy incase i screw up?!?!   :laugh:

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

pillar pod no fitty!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:55:15 pm »
i had same problem with mine. U have to use a heat gun and form it to the piller and it will magiclly fit perfect.
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Mike Schmid

pillar pod no fitty!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 12:29:17 am »
Welcome to Canada.  The apillar pods are made for the US market power seatbelts that slide down the a pillar so they don't fit our slimmer trim.  

If you take the trim off you can warm up the pillar pod a little then squeeze it onto the trim.  Then you or an assistant, depending on how hard it is to hold it there can draw or scratch a line down the edge of the trim.  Then just cut off the excess material from the pillar pod and drill some new holes and mount it up.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
pillar pod no fitty!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 08:55:31 am »
Since pillar is too long on the sides I took Sheet metal Cutters and cut-off 1/4" off each edge; it worked great and looked flush.

Also I don't use the plastic clips to hold the pillar, since they are a pain to remove, if you have to. Black coloured 1/4' long screws, similar to once that hold ECU cover are perfect and easy to remove as many time, as you need.

Offline Jesse Veitch

pillar pod no fitty!!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 07:43:39 pm »
yeah I used screws too, heated it up and clamped it on,  then I used a dremel with a cut-off disk and took off the hangover, smoothed it up all nice
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

shaun friesen

pillar pod no fitty!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 11:04:41 pm »
thanks for the help guys.  i think i still wanna try to make it seemless.  probably try some fiborglass after i heat it up and get it to fit right.

Offline Jesse Veitch

pillar pod no fitty!!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 07:39:46 pm »
if you really want the seamless look you can buy an entire apillar molded with gauge pods in it, think I saw them on buschur racing's site...
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold