Author Topic: installed greddy BOV  (Read 659 times)

Andy Tong

installed greddy BOV
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:58:21 am »
I have a greddy bov and i installed by myself with 1g flange on but it doesn't seem to be too loud. does anyone know what is wrong with it?

Offline Ryan Lore

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 11:27:46 am »
Your turbo is too small.

Offline Matt Demick

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:29:54 am »
What boost u running? the higher the boost the louder the sound. Are u recirculating? cuz it will be way louder if u arn't. Also mine came with a trumpet end to make it even louder.
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
installed greddy BOV
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:30:01 am »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzING!
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Andy Tong

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 01:31:18 pm »
Quote from: "Matt Demick"
What boost u running? the higher the boost the louder the sound. Are u recirculating? cuz it will be way louder if u arn't. Also mine came with a trumpet end to make it even louder.

i have the bov outlet covered with some metal and my cold air intake is covered with a bottle cap  :laugh: i'll see if i can take a pic of it and show u guys,

Offline Jess Atendido

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:59:38 pm »
i wonder if i can get a custom trumpet for the 1g bov
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline KevinBuckham

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 03:30:18 pm »
If you are serious, I guess I can help.  (Why would you want a louder BOV sound?)

Make sure you are running both springs, and tighten the adjustment screw all the way down.  Don't run the "extra" line to the assist with blow off.  This should give you a nice sharp sound that may induce BOV flutter.  It's loud, it's ricey, and it's annoying.

Graeme Shaw

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 03:54:52 pm »
Because louder=cooler.  Obviously.

Offline mike griffin

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 04:57:09 pm »
aren't most bov's not very loud when recirc'd?
why does your car sneeze when you shift?"

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Offline John Hartman

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 06:25:46 pm »
mine is louder recirulated than a stocker vented.

don't tighten it too much, when you get that jerky fluttery thing, that is bad.  That is the primary reason that compressor bipass valves exist.  When you are on it, and all that pressurised air is smokin along in your intercooler pipes and then you snap shut the throttle plate, that air backs up and is not good on the compressor blades and bearings.  Too much of this and your turbo will die.  Besides its not smooth when say, coming over a hill and you just "breathe" the engine.  If its too tight, its gonna buck and jerk.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Graeme Shaw

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 06:27:06 pm »
Quote from: "Andy Tong"
i have the bov outlet covered with some metal and my cold air intake is covered with a bottle cap  :laugh: i'll see if i can take a pic of it and show u guys,

Wait, Andy, if I'm reading this right; did you block off where the air comes OUT of the BOV?

Offline Jesse Veitch

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 06:41:38 pm »
that's what I was just about to say, hah, nobody caught that for a while, bov outlet should be open, so it can, blow off  :laugh:
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline KevinBuckham

installed greddy BOV
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 08:13:50 pm »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
mine is louder recirulated than a stocker vented.

If its too tight, its gonna buck and jerk.

You are describing compressor surge, but tightening down the BOV will not induce that * (in most cases).  The Greddy Type S will blow off at the relatively same time no matter how your crank the screw.  The adjustment screw effectively sets the resonant frequency of the valve itself and can induce flutter if set too hard.  It can slightly delay the opening of the BOV but will not appreciably affect at what pressure differential this will happen at.

Similar sounding but different.  Even FP admits that flutter should have little to no effect on your turbo.  But it is annoying.  (The BOV is fluttering, not your compressor blades stalling.)

On topic: Another way to increase the sound is to get a metal intake pipe (DejonTool etc).  It is noticably louder dumping to this than into the stock plastic intake pipe.