Author Topic: Finally, lowered and "new" rims  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Mike Schmid

Finally, lowered and "new" rims
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2005, 05:30:14 pm »
I'm with Fraser on this one   :wink:

That red one is nice looking though.  I'd ditch the couple of stickers and put the headlights all the way down if it was mine, and maybe add a 1Gb spoiler so it'd look more like a DSM hehehe.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2005, 08:07:42 pm »
240s are pretty cool cars.  I don't think anyone can seriously say they look anything like DSMs though.  I'd consider one of those bad boys if I wasn't so batshit crazy over DSMs

Then again, I have to agree with Fraser in that I'm not a fan of the truck engines either.  When you run 2 valves/cylinder you either get choked flow pretty quickly at the valves or you have to run giant valves and get crap in terms of discharge coefficients and even then you can only have valves that are so big.  Bah!  SR-20s have pretty efficient flowing heads though.  Factory coil on plug is cool to.  It's like a Nissan 4G63 :wink:
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2005, 10:11:34 pm »
Quote from: "Jordan Gladman"
Quote from: "Emerson Thomas"
what years had the 240sx sedan? I love the sedan rather than the hatch.

Hatchbacks own all. You should know that, the talon stole styling from the 240.   :twisted:

And 240 stole it from Supra :P

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2005, 05:20:40 pm »
Quote from: "Fraser Cassells"
more valves than a dozen.  :P

Only north american '88 and '89 240's have 12 valves :wink:
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Jordan Gladman

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2005, 10:29:45 pm »
Quote from: "Jovan Ceklaj"
240s are pretty cool cars.  I don't think anyone can seriously say they look anything like DSMs though.  I'd consider one of those bad boys if I wasn't so batshit crazy over DSMs

Then again, I have to agree with Fraser in that I'm not a fan of the truck engines either.  When you run 2 valves/cylinder you either get choked flow pretty quickly at the valves or you have to run giant valves and get crap in terms of discharge coefficients and even then you can only have valves that are so big.  Bah!  SR-20s have pretty efficient flowing heads though.  Factory coil on plug is cool to.  It's like a Nissan 4G63 :wink:

VG35DE was in a truck before the 350z...  :wink:

None of the 240's ever had 2 valves per cylinder.

I havent had any probs with my 3 valves either..  :wink:
www.gladmanperformance.com/JordanKAT.wmv

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2005, 08:35:51 am »
Rationalize ownership all you want, this is a DSM board. You will be given no quarter and any logical arguments go out the window because "our" car is better..I will add the :) to show we are all friends here still. heh.

I have had the 12valve in my 92 4x4, and now I have the VG30 in my new 4x4, they are THIRSTY biatches but seem to last forever, so muchrespect.

OH , and did Nissan not sell like 80% of the total 240s in 89-90, so I guess the lions share of motors will be 12valves, along with all the ones you two guys own, no?
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline Paulo Fernandes

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2005, 10:17:06 pm »
just adding to the discussion of the 240SX...
I had a 91 240, with the 16-valve ka24de some claim to be a truck engine, just because it was also used in a truck- so what.  She was a great ride until an intrepid crossed my lane and caused my baby to be written off way before her time; RIP.

I now have a 92 TSi FWD and I love her too, but she has a different appeal.

Cars are like women, it's okay to love more than one, as long as she's not a honda! :laugh:

BTW:  WTB: 91 240SX Hatchback AH3-Red: Dark Red, or fine...burgundy, same colour as the one in this post, ain't she sexy with those bedroom eyes?!  LOL.  PM or email me if you see one!!! :D
3/92 1Gb TSi FWD  -sold

Artem Gridnev

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2005, 10:32:10 pm »
stop it damn it
i have problems with letting things go
and i just lost my baby....89 240sx recently
its not easy reading this i am starting to crave again
and .....  :cry:  i need a shoulder......lol

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2005, 11:14:47 pm »
Quote from: "Jordan Gladman"

VG35DE was in a truck before the 350z...  :wink:

None of the 240's ever had 2 valves per cylinder.

I havent had any probs with my 3 valves either..  :wink:
www.gladmanperformance.com/JordanKAT.wmv

Regarding that video, let's be honest; you were just looking for an excuse to post that video because it really doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you go through tires quicker than most people and your neighbours clearly hate you :wink: .  Nice drifting though.

My bad on the 240 having 3 valves/cylinder.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible to make power out of it.  Throw enough money at anything and it'll be quick, however everything has physical limits.

The issue comes up when you want to go from a factory NA setup to a boosted setup.  Starting with a factory boosted engine is easier because you get cams that have less overlap (and consequently less short circuiting which is when the intake charge goes in through the intake valves and right out the exhaust valves without undergoing combustion).  You also get intake ports that are more adequately sized for boost such that you get good air velocity going into the cylinders without getting choked flow.  Yes all of these issues can be overcome but would it not just be cheaper to find a factory boosted engine?

The reason for having more valves is to have more area for the air to flow through.  This can easily be visualized by drawing a circle and then drawing 3 circles inside of it as big as you can without overlapping each other or going outside of the biggest circle or crossing the center.  Now try it again with 4 circles and you can clearly see that you have more area to flow through with 4 circles.

Essentially, by not going with an SR-20DET you are adding a self imposed restriction.  That's all I'm getting at.  As Fraser said.... :) ....as I'm not trying to start any shit.  The board just desperately needs some technical discussion amidst all the LOLs and other useless chatter being posted.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2005, 01:56:56 am »
On the valve sizes it should be noted that sticking the biggest mofo valves you can get into the combustion chamber isn't always best for flow.  Reason being when you get a valve too close to something, like the cylinder wall for instance, it becomes shrouded, that is, the flow cone around the valve gets disturbed causing a huge loss of flow.

Now that said while 3 valves isn't nessecarily bad, and certainly better than 2, it's not as good as 4 valves.  

As for bashing the 240s, what do you expect, it's a DSM board, most of it's in good fun too, don't take it too seriously.  But I do agree with Jovan in that if you're going to build a turbo motor why not start with a turbo motor, it just flat makes sense.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2005, 05:48:01 am »
Haha oh no this is going to turn into another SR vs KA discussions :laugh:

For me its about the price.... I can get an SR installed and tuned with a standalone for $5000 cdn and have 200-250~ hp Thats about the regular price for shops in Van. With the KA I can peice together a pretty decent kit with the same results for much cheaper, however any upgrading after that will require internals whereas the SR wouldnt :wink:
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114