Author Topic: How was the DSM Portland Trip?  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Ernie Turner

How was the DSM Portland Trip?
« on: March 23, 2003, 10:21:47 am »
How did the trip go?

Who went?

Any pics?  Lets see'm!

I really wanted to go badly.. *sigh*

Thanx, Ernie.
3 Subaru Impreza WRX - Rally Blue
91 Eagle Talon TSi FWD - Traded in.
14.1@101mph.

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 09:39:41 am »
Well everybody that didnt come missed out, it was pretty sweet, wasnt as many people as we hoped thouigh because of weather, in some places it was pouring in other places it was sunny, in actual portland it was very sunny.  I was the only one that made the trip down but me and John came back up, it was exhausting and I have never seen 5 lanes of trafic gridlocked, or doing 130km/h and cops pass you and then a person passes the cop, very different laws.

We got some good pictures, havent had time to resize and post because I have been exhausted.  4 1/2 hour down and back up, little bit longer up cause the I405 (i believe) was shutdown so me and john got lost, it was a sigh of relief when we saw that I5 north sign =)

I should have the pictures up by tonight, the drive was absolutely incredible, felt like ireland driving by waterfalls and, i dunno, you just mised out, and it all wasnt that expensive, costed me and my girl the whole day $70
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Damian Zerr

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 10:25:15 am »
I thought they were like 10+ bc guys going? What happened?
0PSI and 0 Knock

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 10:58:39 am »
Everybody bailed on me, kinda sucked, but whatcha gonna do.

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 10:38:07 pm »
what were gonna do is sell tickets next time.  That way, if ya bail, ya loose yer $10.  Then we takes the money and on the trip, we eats/drinks :)

Trip was good.  Travis and honey are nuts to get up that friggin early!!  I slept in, had a shower and went on down :)  But then I have relatives there, hehe.

Meet was good, saw some cool tech, met some nice people (even a girl with a GSX), smelled nitrous on the hiway, cruised at 155 for many miles, drove thru some gorgeous twisty areas, with mossy trees, waterfalls and many rainbows, stopped at a nice pub, talked tech, and life.  Great time.

Hit the hiway, but the 205 north was blocked off, so I had to take Trav on a detour.  He thought we were lost,  I had done it before, but sometime in the mid 90's so it was not familiar, tho I knew it would come out ok.  Lost alot of time in the parking lot called I205 north tho.

Stopped for gas at a little station with a real skanky bathroom.  Gahh!

Hehe, yea there was an odd state trooper tho, he did pass us, and we were going 75 in the fast lane :)  Oh well, scared me for a bit.

Got dark, and rainy.  Got to be able to pick out the front of Trav's car from 5 lanes of swerving, speeding traffic mayhem in the dark, and in the rain :)

We both missed the 405 bypass, which flows around Seattle's gridlock, but that nite, all was pretty okeydokey, so it was shorter. :) I saw it at the last min, but it was 3 lanes over, and Trav was ahead.  No way we were both gonna make it.  Next time. It's a nice drive. :thumbs:

Lost Travis in Seattle.  He took the regular hiway, which is usually pretty nasty.  I was right behind him, and I was signaling, and stayed in the left lane.  I even flashed him the brights, but to no avail.  I sailed on left, and under the city, or so it seems. Like a track in "Need For Speed:High Stakes"  Kinda cool, and usually really fast, as there are no on or off ramps, you just drive 70mph.  When I got back on, I hit the middle lane, and slowed down to 60, till I saw those familiar lights in the mirror.  "I think I found a black 1g from BC"  Is what I said to Carmen just before I tached it up to 75 again and joined on his 6.

Things are a bit different at night.  I have made that trip 30 or so times since 93, but never at night.  So we were in the right lane a bit early for the Bellinghoohoo exit, but that is better than a trip to Point Roberts :)  Trav scraped his ass on a bump coming off the exit ramp.  How's that BTW?  Need a bandaid or some cream :P

Resisted the need to hand some punks in an Avenger thier asses, despite my 200lbs of crap in the back, and horrid Yank gas.

Made it threw the border easy.

Said goodby to Trav and (dangit, I forgot her name, sorry) and headed home, with good Canadian air thru the intercooler, soon to be filled with PetroCan 94!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 07:49:19 am »
All in all it was a great trip, yah to elaborate on the getting lost in Seattle, well i was looking at the sign and it said HOV lane ends, so i got out and stayed in the right lane, John went under city and I went above, I had no idea where I was going, and I looked down and caught a glimpse about 1 to 1 1/2 miles ahead of Johns a55 (mighty fine a55 is was  :P ), so i torqued it a bit and an IS300 flew beside me, so i brought it to him, 170km/h through traffic is nuts, i had no idea, i caught John so damn fast it wasn't funny, pretty much as soon as the two lanes merged I was on his rear giving him the flashy.

And i smoked my front end on a bridge, and it wasn't the plastic front, sparks and the nine yards came out.

Anyways, yah 91 octane blows.

I should have the pics up tonight, i have to resize them all and I got about 150 pics of scenery, the cruise and cars.

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Ernie Turner

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 01:31:47 pm »
Sounds like you guys had a great trip down there!  I really wish that i could of come.  If i still have the Talon and there is another trip like this i'd love to go down there wit everyone.  Hopefully wit more than 2 cars tho we gotta represent a lil bit better than that!  The car is back on friday.. then is goin up for sale.  But i hope maybe to see everyone at the end DSM meet.  

Paice.. Ernie.
3 Subaru Impreza WRX - Rally Blue
91 Eagle Talon TSi FWD - Traded in.
14.1@101mph.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 04:59:54 pm »
hehe, well, I have to wait till I get my film developed, and then maybe get a new scanner, this one BLOWS!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 09:28:19 pm »
heres my pictures from the trip.

http://www.teamsinergy.com/Portland

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 10:32:56 pm »
nice job :)

What was that guy in the yellow Vette thinking with that horrid body kit??

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 11:10:22 pm »
Hehe, kinda funny how John's car sticks out like a sore thumb.  Looks like the yanks don't like red except for Mr. "ooh look at me, I'm different" at the end :laugh:

(there's my gross generalization for the week)
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 11:20:50 pm »
funny, shit its awesome !  :)

I represented, Yo!  March meet had lotsa red early cars, this one had only me.  So for Mathew, and the others, there it is.

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 08:19:28 am »
The yellow vette went by me and my g/f dropped her jaw, it was actually a SUPER HOT ASS BLONDE DRIVING IT!!!!  It wasnt that bad, the pictures didnt do much justice for it.

Yah John, your car surely does stand out, wish I woulda got more shots of the cars but I was way at the back (once again the back man).

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 05:49:29 pm »
ahh, no biggie, there is plenty of my car.  And if anyone complains about the pics, they can bloody well take thier own.  Oh wait, you'd have to be there to take them :)