Author Topic: cost of a full turbo engine  (Read 609 times)

Offline Mark Gibbons

cost of a full turbo engine
« on: December 20, 2004, 11:07:40 am »
i am toying with the idea of replacing my NT engine with a Turbo beast.
what are the costs for a rebuilt engine, and a new engine?

Please dont tell me to buy a new car!! i love my car it is in pristine condition!
ixon is her name... One sexy body with all the right curves!!!

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 01:04:56 pm »
complete turo engine is around $1200

but there are other things required for the full swap

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 05:30:41 pm »
from what I've seen in other posts like this, its usually about $3500 - $5000.  Of course it could be cheaper if you luck out and can do alot of the work yourself.  As well it could be a hellvalot more if you run into "issues" when doing it.  Plan on a few at least.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 06:30:35 pm »
Personally I'm budgeting $5000 for a rebuild on a car that's already turbo AWD.  Mind you some of that will be bolt on goodies but still.

JDM engine would be the way to go.  

To rebuild your NT you'll probably want to put in oil jets (~$400), all the usual machining (~$600 prolly), and all the parts incl. new pistons, rods, maybe crank, bearings, rings, seals and gaskets, etc etc.  Add a head rebuild (~$600?), not to mention the externals like manifold, turbo, exhaust, intake pipes, intercooler, etc.  

You'll also need a clutch, flywheel, transmission, probably axles, wiring harness, injectors, fuel pump, and a turbo ECU, and there's still a bunch of stuff I missed.  

Count on $5000... check the parts section and there's entire running, nice condition TSi AWDs going for that.  You could have both.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 07:37:41 pm »
12k I'll sell you a 10k fully built motor, and throw in a fully done out car
 :wink:

5k seems to be the most reasonable for a swap.
There will be SOOOO much other stuff that you SHOULD replace even if you luck out on a 3k motor you'll blow 2k getting all the stuff to get it into your car

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 07:57:25 pm »
What Ryan said.  You could do it cheap but you'll be working on it all the time because you cheaped out and didn't replace stuff you should have while it was easy to do.  That and if you put stock parts on you'll get to buy them and install them all over when you try and go faster.  As a former NT owner it just doesn't make sense.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Raymond Leung

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 03:49:27 pm »
I've done the NT to turbo swap before....

The engine itself costed $1200 but then there's the tranny...
The NT tranny will work but it won't hold up when you start generating more power...

You'll need to get the intercooler, unless you get it w/ the engine (JK engines will not provide it w/ the engine)

Other than that... the only other small issues were how the piping was gonna be routed...

Good luck,
Raymond
90 Mitsubishi Galant FWD Turbo
'92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Offline Emerson Thomas

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 12:16:17 pm »
I have a complete 1990 eagle talon tsi awd that has a salvage status, the previous owner did minor damage too the front end.  basiclly drivers head light, turn signal, and minor upper rad suuport. car starts and drives perfectly.  allot of maintenance was done by the previous owner, including rebuilt tranny and clutch. I was going to have the damage fixed and drive it (est. $800-1100) but i could be persuaded otherwise.
-1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg RS 4G61T white.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-1991 Tuxedo Talon TSI AWD auto, stock
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..
..and bring some timing too