Author Topic: Boost problems...  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Kevin Park

Boost problems...
« on: December 26, 2004, 07:04:30 pm »
I'm a new member to bcdsm, I bought matt lemons old tsi. It has 3 in downpipe,  3 in exhaust, hacked mas, ported evo mani, ported o2, stock 14b turbo with a ported ehaust side, boost controller, walboro 255 and afew other mods. It was running great and and pulled hard with a peak boost of about 16-17 psi nice and level with no creep. I havent done anything to the car since i bought it but now when i go full throttle the boost soars to about 20-22 psi and the motor kinda stumbles and backfires a bit when this happens. This happens every time. If i dont go full throttle and just let the boost build up slowly its fine but it still eventually spikes to past 20 psi. I'm not too sure where to start looking as i know it could be alot of different things. Any advice would be great.

Offline Neil Fowlie

Boost problems...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 08:51:12 pm »
try turning the boost down for a starter
I know my car will boost higher in this ice cold weather we have been having

my car for instance will boost at 14-15psi in summer
and around 17-18 in winter.

Offline Wade Carlson

Boost problems...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:22:42 pm »
I agree, try turning down your boost controller for starters mbcs tend to change your boost settin with weather  :?
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline John Hartman

Boost problems...
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 02:30:30 pm »
turn it down, like they said, get a logger on there and make sure you are not knocking and or too lean.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kevin Park

Boost problems...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 10:59:42 pm »
Well I turned it down but it didn't make a difference at all. The car just falls on its face under full throttle...

Offline Kimyee Lai

Boost problems...
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 11:43:39 pm »
Make sure your wastegate isn't stuck.

Offline Mike Schmid

Boost problems...
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 02:42:06 am »
You really should get a logger on there.  You said yourself it could be alot of things, we're just taking shots in the dark.  The logger should tell you if it's MAF overrun, fuel cut, ugly knock, running out of injector, ignition, etc or at least it'll point you in the right direction.  

That's similar to the setup I had in the summer and it probably can't handle 20psi of boost.  I know cause I was there, my MBC is a PITA to set.  I'd get big knock spikes, timing pulled like crazy and the car would run like ass.  

But it could be alot of things, datalogger is the key.  With luck someone will bring their cable and palm/laptop over and give you a hand, all you have to do is ask.  I'd offer mine but it's way too integrated into my car.  And as far as that goes you should really look into picking up a setup of your own, it's way too handy not to have.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Michael Cummings

Boost problems...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:45:56 pm »
Hey kevin I got a logger cable and software but no hardware to put it on, if you have a palm pilot or a laptop with a serial port on it , then we can meet up and take it for a log.  I live in colwood.

Anytime between now and jan 5th is good time.  Pm me if you want.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Matt Demick

Boost problems...
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 12:56:44 pm »
yea check the wastegate that was my problem when my car was hitting 25 psi when it was set to 10 :S . As for the stumbling make sure ya got no exhasut leaks or boost leaks.
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Kevin Park

Boost problems...
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 02:36:10 am »
Quote from: "Michael Cummings"
Hey kevin I got a logger cable and software but no hardware to put it on, if you have a palm pilot or a laptop with a serial port on it , then we can meet up and take it for a log.  I live in colwood.

Anytime between now and jan 5th is good time.  Pm me if you want.

Thanks dude, I'll be sure to get in touch with you soon.

Offline Mike Meron

Boost problems...
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 07:03:29 am »
when are you gonna realize that crappy little turbo's wont run in excess of 15 lbs reliably, that is why turbo gods made bigger turbo's.
you boost spike cause the design is not made to handle more than the factory specs. i drive around with an internally gated GT30-14 at 15lbs with no issue, when i turn it up i can drive at 27 lbs with no issue, notice the difference? oh yeah...... dsm'ers: if it isnt free it isnt for me. i think i will write my own VFAQ
Q: my 14b turbo boost creeps from 15 to over 20 psi what is wrong?
A: your shit is too small for what youre asking it to do, FIX IT, buy a bigger turbo for bigger boost/power.
Q: Why dont the fastest DSM's in BC complain of boost creep?
A: our shit is bigger than yours
Q: How do i go about getting bigger "shit" on my car
A: save your pennies instead of wasting money on being a VFAQ hero buy the proper upgrades
Q: what is the difference between a proper mid 12 second DSM and a stock DSM with free mods
A: I drive my shit HARD everyday, ALL WHEEL PEELS and stop light to stop light, i cant complain when it breaks it deserves the rest between headgaskets.
Q: what type of car will it be if i buy the proper upgrade parts
A: A freaking SUPERCAR for a fraction of the cost
The moral of the story.... the only car that you can buy and upgrade for sub 10K and it will drive 12's and be a daily driver is a DSM.... many of you run a 13-15 second dsm on very little mods, good for you but you will sit out side the 12 second door for a while till you start spending money while the rest of the world who is following the outlined upgrade paths will be driving FAST RELIABLE cars for years to come.

Offline Kevin Park

Boost problems...
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 08:40:17 am »
Well the culprit was a stuck wastegate. After I fixed it I turned the bost down to 14 psi for the winter as i was getting pretty early fuel cut and this seems to have eliminated that. The car is running great now. Thanks for the help on where to look guys! Oh and Mike, I just bought the car, it was set at about 16psi when i bought it and it didnt spike at all, I found your post kinda rude and pointless as it didnt pertain to my question at all...

Offline Ryan Lore

Boost problems...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 08:46:57 am »
no comment!

Offline Aaron Moore

Boost problems...
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 10:36:59 am »
Quote from: "Kevin Park"
Oh and Mike, I just bought the car, it was set at about 16psi when i bought it and it didnt spike at all, I found your post kinda rude and pointless as it didnt pertain to my question at all...

No shit, that Mike guy has got a real attitude problem.  I heard it has something to do with Sand. :roll:
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Boost problems...
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 06:10:29 pm »
Quote from: "Aaron Moore"
Quote from: "Kevin Park"
Oh and Mike, I just bought the car, it was set at about 16psi when i bought it and it didnt spike at all, I found your post kinda rude and pointless as it didnt pertain to my question at all...

No shit, that Mike guy has got a real attitude problem.  I heard it has something to do with Sand. :roll:

No I think that's Jovan, Mike has moved on to steel wool pads now.