Author Topic: Brown crap in my bellhousing  (Read 355 times)

Offline Kevin Standeven

Brown crap in my bellhousing
« on: December 30, 2004, 03:58:53 pm »
So I've got my tranny off, and noticed that the insdie of my bellhousing was coated in hard brown sludge. It didn't appear that the seals on the transmission or block were leaking, so I'm wondering if this is just worn down clutch powder, or if there is a leak somewhere that I didn't notice. Anyone else notice this brown coating when they opened their bellhousing?
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:27:04 pm »
clutch lining.  Why its sludgey?  Not sure, if your rear main isn't leaking now, it might have been once and not cleaned up?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 12:48:26 am »
Your lack of concern is encouraging, I'll slap her together tomorrow :D
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 01:05:57 am »
FWIW when I've had leaks in the bellhousing it's always real wet and oily and black.  Not sludgy/half dry and brown.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 09:58:23 am »
Mine was literally full of black powder (organic disc) material.  And I mean it was everywhere and caked on!  I guess that's what happens when you've worn through 3 organic discs in 2 years.

But no sludge and mine was definitely black.  I would guess that water incursion would make it a black mess.   I suppose if your old clutch disc was brown that could explain the colour.  

If not, I'd check for leaks of motor oil or transmission fluid.