Author Topic: Squeaky engine upon starting the car  (Read 608 times)

Offline Jenson Ma

Squeaky engine upon starting the car
« on: December 19, 2004, 06:16:01 pm »
Hi, I don't know why but every time i start the car, the engine squeaks and squeals in a really loud and high pitched sound.  It goes away after a while when the car is warmed up.  But recently its been getting louder and it lasts longer.  I don't know where its coming from, but i'm guessing its the belts?
The sound is also there if i drive when the car isn't warmed up during gear changes.  Any help would be great.

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 06:20:27 pm »
It's very likely your crankpulley coming apart.  You have a 2G right?  Probably close to 160k or so?  That's when they usually fail.  Don't drive the car anymore and get it checked out ASAP.  You can check the pulley by going in through your Driver's side wheel well.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 06:26:18 pm »
check the alternator belt, they don't hold tension very well and often start to squeel, try tightening it up a bit, mine started doing that too, only when I started the car, and would then go away...
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Dilvinder Grewal

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 06:27:21 pm »
ye i agree,if it goes away after a bit, then it could be that u jus need to tighten the belt tension,like my car did that for like a couple seconds then it would stop, i tightened the belts and it was all good.
997 Eclipse GSX

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 06:53:09 pm »
if those have a habit of going at that time,do like Kimyee said.

I would add that putting some good silicone belt dressing on your belts (not timing belt) should be done anyway.

Put it on the belts, start it and if it goes away in a second or 2, and is gone, you probably have your problem solved. if not, don't drive it anymore till you get it fixed.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Clark

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 10:32:08 pm »
as soon as it started getting colder out, or heavily raining mine will squeek for a little bit when I start up.  It's definatly a good way to wake up in the morning !
We took the trans out today, and the front diff broke apart and cracked the case. The front motor mount is also torn right off the subframe... can you say wheel hop?"

Offline Adam Williamson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 03:11:04 pm »
Quote from: "Ryan Clark"
as soon as it started getting colder out, or heavily raining mine will squeek for a little bit when I start up.  It's definatly a good way to wake up in the morning !

My Esi does that as well, not loud or anything but its a little squeeky for a few seconds then it goes away. When it's nice outside I don't get anything
-----------------------------------------------------
-98 Eagle Talon ESI

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 05:22:56 pm »
Ryan and Adam, belt dressing will do wonders for you guys ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Adam Williamson

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 06:46:43 pm »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
Ryan and Adam, belt dressing will do wonders for you guys ;)

Thanks for that tip man, I'll have to try that out this weekend!
-----------------------------------------------------
-98 Eagle Talon ESI

Dan Powers

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 07:31:51 pm »
I would personally adjust belt tension.  Belt dressing just does not work for very long I find.  Also, if its loose its going to slip regardless of dressing.  Just adjust the tension screws.  Add some belt dressing while your there just for the extra kick. Good Luck,

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 09:33:34 pm »
oh, of course.  Gotta be properly adjusted first.

Sorry.