Author Topic: clutch disengagement problem  (Read 303 times)

Offline Richard Nazar

clutch disengagement problem
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:08:20 am »
Ok, first off, I bled the clutch until I didn't see anymore air coming out... so I think I did it right. I adjusted the clutch master screw, moved it in and out, but that didn't fix it. Got under the car though and noticed that the release fork doesn't return to the middle position. I can push the fork over a bit (pushing the rod into the slave cyl), but it just slowly returns to just past the middle position. Also, I noticed that there's clutch fluid under that part of the tranny.
Is there anything else I can try to adjust or is it safe to say my slave cylinder is gone and its time for a new one. I just find it kind of weird how it worked before being taken off the engine and after I put the engine back together it has problems now  :?
BTW, in case you're not sure, my car is having problems goin into gear when it's running if I start it in neutral, but goes through all the gears smoothly when turned off.

Offline Richard Nazar

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 12:13:14 am »
Just in case I was doing this wrong, this is how I bled the clutch.
I had someone push the clutch all the way in, then I'd open the nipple on the slave cyl and closed it back up after all the fluid came out. Then the person in the car would have to grab the clutch and pull it back up. Did this a few times till I saw no air, just fluid come out. Then the clutch stiffened up, but it didn't seem to have the same pedal feel as before  :?
Am I doing something wrong here?

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 12:21:06 am »
if there are no leaks try rebleeding the system

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/slave2.htm

then go from there

hope that helps

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 01:33:51 am »
Sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing. You didn't maybe let the fluid level get too low while you were bleeding and suck some air in up top eh?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Richard Nazar

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 02:27:15 am »
The first time it did happen, but I just bled it a few more times and that air came out, while making sure not to make the same mistake again.
I'm going to re-bleed them anyways tomorrow morning the way the vfaq says. I did it my dad's way last time.
If none of that works, then I guess I'll replace the slave cyl.
I just really hope this fixes the car so I can finally drive it.