Author Topic: Putting motor back together... got questions  (Read 302 times)

Offline Richard Nazar

Putting motor back together... got questions
« on: December 07, 2004, 11:07:05 pm »
I just picked up my motor today from L&R so all I have left to do is bolt up a few last things and then drop it in... but I'm not sure about a couple things.
Position of thermostat? I forgot to check before pulling it out.
The throwout bearing; when I replaced it I didn't check the orientation of the old one. Can anyone help me with this?
Also, should I go one range colder spark plugs now because of raised compression?
Thank you!

BTW, it's a 90 AWD and in case you're wondering, I had the block rebuilt w/ JE forged 9:1 0.020 over and ARP head studs. Some of the goodies I bought to go with it; kinetic stage 2 clutch kit, lightened flywheel, ported sbr manifold... and lots of other minor stuff. Should be a nice difference from worn down stock (especially my clutch that was COMPLETELY gone)  :D

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:44:42 am »
It's been a while on both but I think that:

on the Tstat the little triangle frame goes to the top, it should say on there somewhere, as far as putting it in rotated 180* out I don't see how it would matter.  

on the TO bearing, one side should be a square ring, the other side a smaller wing with a flange on the end.  The square side should go to the PP fingers.  It has been a while though... It should be easy to figure out, clip the TO bearing onto the clutch fork and the side that rotates independent of the side touching the clutch fork is what goes against the PP.  

As for the plugs run it and log it and do what the ECU tells you to do.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 03:07:16 am »

As for the plugs, my 6's didn't last long after the rebuild, they got really blistered. The 7's are doing better.

no idea with the TOB though :? I do know that you need to grease the inner ring and shaft....but you probably did too :wink:

Offline Richard Nazar

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 04:04:17 pm »
Thanks guys... gonna go do that.