Author Topic: Breaking a bead without a bead breaker  (Read 1076 times)

Offline kuldip gill

Breaking a bead without a bead breaker
« on: December 06, 2004, 03:00:09 pm »
How can I break the bead of a tire without a bead breaker? I assumed it wouldn't be too hard, on my bike all it takes is a C-clamp or even putting the tire in between two milk crates and jumping on the tire. Car is a lot harder, any suggestions? Oh and I don't want to hear all the "you cheap bastard just take it to a shop" talk. I kinda want to do this on my own.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 04:26:10 pm »
how you gonna ballance it?
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline kuldip gill

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 04:49:57 pm »
going to take it in to get balanced. I just want to get the old tire off and bring in the new one and the rim.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 05:36:48 pm »
on a low profile tire thats gonna take some ingenuity for sure.

If its been on there for a long time, even with our pneumatic one, it will take several applications per side.  Not gonna be fun without one.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline kuldip gill

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 05:52:51 pm »
I'm not going to bother. It's too much of a head ache. I finally broke the bead, I jacked put the tire under the car so the lip of the tire was supporting the cars weight. Now getting the tire off the rim in annoying me so I think I will just let the professionals handle this one.