Author Topic: Smoking brake pads  (Read 448 times)

Offline an nguyen

Smoking brake pads
« on: October 24, 2004, 09:31:02 pm »
At solo trials today, we had only ~4 minutes betw runs (very few drivers).  All my front and rear pads were smoking by run 3 or 4 in each heat.  

According to prior owner, these are recently installed Porterfield r4s pads, which I read to be very good for street and light track usage.  But I'm concerned about their/my health if I go on a raceway.  

Any tips?  Thanks!
stx 95 talon awd, stu 95 m3

Offline Dilvinder Grewal

Smoking brake pads
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 11:01:41 pm »
ye it happens mine do that sometimes when excessive speed and braking is involved, if u dont have slotted rotors i recommend those, have fun, peace
997 Eclipse GSX

Offline an nguyen

Smoking brake pads
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 11:05:27 pm »
fronts are slotted; probly doesn't help.  i think track pads and/or big brakes are needed.
stx 95 talon awd, stu 95 m3

Offline Kimyee Lai

Smoking brake pads
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:11:55 am »
Did he bed the pads in?  If he didn't they will smoke quite a bit.  http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedinstock.htm
This gives the procedure.  The porterfield procedure is a little different, but this gives the gist of it.

I remember when I bedded in the R4S they stank appalingly...but after that, they're great.

Offline Leon Hui

bedding
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 11:21:42 am »
Where does a place exist to safely go bed in some brakes?
Got BoOsT?

Offline Mike Schmid

Smoking brake pads
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 11:57:09 am »
You city guys might have to drive somewhere, out here in the sticks pretty much any road works.  I can use the road in front of my house.  See if you can find an industrial area, they usually have big open roads and are next to deserted at night.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline KevinBuckham

Smoking brake pads
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 04:37:08 pm »
If they have been bedded in and it wasn't green fade, the R4S may not have been up to the task.

Try some brake ducts and get some Porterfield R4E pads.  However you DON'T want to be communting on R4Es.  Unless of course you like changing your rotor weekly and washing the dust off your rims daily.

Ask me how I know. ;)

Additionally R4E pads are a great way to resurface rotors.  Really.

With the front and rears smoking the way they did, open up the calipers and inspect the piston boots.  Aditionally check the guide and lock pins (esp the fronts) to make sure they are perfectly straight and not scored and add some high temp lube to them and make sure they slide freely.

I'll take bets that at least one of your pins is now siezed.