Author Topic: failed air care  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
failed air care
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 01:35:10 pm »
yes, evo 3 is what I want to go with.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline John Hartman

failed air care
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 05:44:42 pm »
as far as I've heard from those who are alot faster than me and have been doing this for a long time, with a turbo there is no need to have any additional back pressure, as the exhaust wheel produces enough.  

For normally aspirated engines, yes, you need some unless you have a full race motor.  So alot of exhaust shops still go by that, and also they do TONS more work on V8 guys etc.

The 3" will be more than you need on the 13g, but it won't hurt anything.  It might cause boost creep tho, you do have to watch out for that unless you have some provisions made for that?

All that said, unless you are planning on making tons of power down the road, a 2.5" exhaust will not be a restriction.  Lowell went 12.28 on an Evo 16g, 2.5" exhaust and some minor fuel upgrades.  

As for 3" mufflers, I have a 3" Borla, and I've seen plenty of 3" Magnaflows.  That shop saying that you can't get one kinda shoots thier credibility in the foot.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Lore

failed air care
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 08:04:24 am »
I agree with John, If you want to run no exhaust, it really won't be a problem, except for noise.

There was a 3" exhaust put on my car in 92 and although it's totally different now 12 yrs ago it was fine

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
failed air care
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 08:11:48 pm »
thanks guys, I think I know what I'll do now :P
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Andrew Sturgeon

failed air care
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 07:56:34 pm »
How soon are you going 3".  I ask because I've been failing too and I think my high flow cat isnt heating up enough.  When you pull it, assuming you would in a 3" exhaust build, any chance I could borrow it for a day or 2?  Id have no problem giving a rental fee and I really really want to get this car insurable.