Author Topic: swapping in new struts  (Read 512 times)

Offline Wayne Barbaza

swapping in new struts
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:58:47 pm »
hi all,

I wanna try saving a couple bills by DIY'ing this so I have a couple questions.  Right now I got ST springs on stock struts.  I've read (in my manual) and seen (at l&r) that the springs have to be compressed when doing the swap...but I've also read in vfaq http://www.vfaq.com/mods/GCkit-2G.html that you don't really need to use a compressor tool because the spring pressure "isn't that much".  Can anyone share their experiences?

in any case, i'm sure i'll have to compress the springs to some extent, or at least keep them in the same compressed state that they're in now, while I swap in the new strut.  Can I get away with using heavy duty clamps or something?  I'm thinking that I can avoid actually having to release and then re-compress the springs by just clamping them "still" while I unscrew the top bolt, swap struts, and secure it again.

thx for any advice
-w

Offline John Hartman

swapping in new struts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 10:01:36 pm »
Wayne, there is enough pressure in those preloaded springs to take your head off.  Please do not try to rig anything up.

Canandian tire will lend you (free of charge) thier spring compressor.  Just phone ahead of time.  Its kinda hokey, but its safe and works.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeff Chau

swapping in new struts
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:37:19 pm »
as John stated. these springs hold the weight of your car, it can hurt you really bad if the strut bolt hits you in the face. I bought my spring compressor "clamps" for like $40 or so a long time ago. Well worth the piece of mind.

Offline Wayne Barbaza

swapping in new struts
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 10:41:49 pm »
thx John, I didnt know about CT lending spring compressors out.  I was gonna rent one otherwise.  

Yeah I was surprised when I read in the vfaq that one could remove the spring without using compressors.

Offline Leon Hui

swapping in new struts
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:53:15 pm »
Quote from: "Wayne Barbaza"
thx John, I didnt know about CT lending spring compressors out.  I was gonna rent one otherwise.  

Yeah I was surprised when I read in the vfaq that one could remove the spring without using compressors.

It'll fly..and pop a hole in the garage..

Anyways, if you were swapping in new coilovers that included that top strut mount, you don't need a compressor...
Got BoOsT?

Offline Paul Chernoff

swapping in new struts
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 06:26:05 pm »
If the springs had more of a drop u might be ok, but i just installed my ST springs and needed to compress them, ive installed other lowering springs before that didnt need any compressing. If u need to borrow spring compressors, i have a set.

Offline John Hartman

swapping in new struts
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 06:46:01 pm »
yea just remembering my spring install (also ST) the rear ones were actually loose in thier perches, so they would be ok to do without a compressor.  The stock ones were  under pressure tho.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Aaron Moore

swapping in new struts
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 08:00:41 pm »
Frank took a set of eibachs off with no compressors, but again, those were lowering springs.
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Wayne Barbaza

swapping in new struts
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 08:00:48 pm »
thanks for all the replies guys.  I'm gonna take advantage of the CT free loaner program and try this out :)