Author Topic: oil leak by valve cover  (Read 529 times)

Offline Jenson Ma

oil leak by valve cover
« on: October 12, 2004, 09:16:43 pm »
well my engine oil light turned on the other day and i checked the oil and there's practially none left.   and i notice that theres oil leaking from just under the valve cover near the passenger side.  
someone suggested that i needed to replace the valve cover gasket?  another other possible problems or ways to fix this?

so is this simply part thats easy to replace?  and i think lordco quoted me 70$ and a 1$ discount with the bcdsm discount.  

thanks!

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:31:55 pm »
I think mine cost $50 from lordco with the plug, gasket, and spark plug gallery gaskets, and it is an extremely simply 20 minute fix just don't overtorque the bolts.  On the passenger side there is also the cam position sensor that has an o-ring that could potentially leak.  Maybe you should first check if the bolts are all tightened down on your valve cover?  They are only 5ft-lbs of torque so they don't go tight by any means just snug.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline John Hartman

oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:59:41 pm »
yep, what he said.  Preperation, thoroughness and care are what makes this and any other job go smoothly.  Take your time, don't do it while drunk, and don't do it when the light is fading.  clean everything well, torque the bolts in a criss-cross pattern, and I will reiterate what Martin said.  DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM!!

I sincerely hope that you still have a good bottom end under that valve cover tho, as if your oil pressure light came on, you had VERY low oil pressure.   Not sure on the spec for your car, but I know that some older GM cars didn't trigger that light until like 4 psi.  Not good.

To prevent this, just check your oil at every fill up.  Or if your bored etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jenson Ma

oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 09:26:49 am »
thanks for the info guys

i was referred to L&R and they're selling the set for only 45$ which is much better than lordco.
(1) valve cover gasket
(4) spark plug well seals
(1) half moon gasket
(1) oil cap gasket

Are these parts pretty much, take them out and replace them?  i'm a newb so is there anything else i should know?  Lowell told me to put silicone too?  

thanks again

Offline KevinBuckham

oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:32:50 am »
Silicone sure helps.  In fact I couldn't get mine to seal without silicone.

The alternative is to get the 3M gasket spray.  Although when I used it myself I just got the gasket stuck to my gloves but it wasn't sticky enough to hold onto the valve cover as I lifted it. :)

And like everyone else said - don't overtighten the bolts.  You will crack the valve cover!

Of course if you don't tighten them enough you will leak oil.  But then just tighten them bit by bit until it stops. :)

-Kevin

Klayton Collier

oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 10:30:22 am »
Princess Auto sells torque wrenches for $27.99.  Better safe then sorry.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 01:15:37 pm »
Lots of people swear by gasket sealant but most gaskest manufacturers themselves say put it on dry.  I have actually re-used my valve cover gasket, dry, without problems because I was too cheap to buy a new one after only an evening of driving around.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline John Hartman

oil leak by valve cover
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 05:38:47 pm »
if you use silicone (and its a good idea) only use it where there is a sharp bend in the gasket, you know, with a corner?  Like at the timing belt end where it bumps up?  At those corners and the one on the pass side at the half moon plug.  anywhere where the path of the rubber is not smooth.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods