Author Topic: 6bolt project ... (updated pix - 4/20/04)  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
6bolt project ... (updated pix - 4/20/04)
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 12:31:54 am »
We believe the block isn't exactly straight.  There were some light (I thought) rust pockets on the cylinder walls that we honed out, but it just so happens that's where the piston slap is.  Haven't dropped the pan to look at the rods/bearings yet, but will shortly be getting to it.

As for JDM, it wasn't my intent to just get a motor and be done with it, I wanted to build one up (in my limited sense) and still do.  If I'm going to do it, do it good.  First try was a lil bunged, that's all ;)
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2004, 09:46:59 pm »
Well that sucks...  :(  Who did the machine work?  You should check the cylinder bore at least at top, middle, and bottom, ideally in a + and an x with an inside micrometer to make sure the cylinders are within spec and not barreled of ovalized.  

Ideally this would also be done with a torque plate on and installed with studs or bolts, whichever you will be using, torqued to the spec you'll use with the thread lubricant you'll use.  If you want to get real picky you'd use the same kind of headgasket that will be going in the motor too.

I hope you have better luck next time...   :?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004, 12:42:31 am »
No worries Andrew, I respect anyone who attempts to rebuild the engine, I never done it myself and probably never will. I mentioned JDM because it's cost effective, but nothing can beat hands-on rebuilding experience. :D