Author Topic: Damn Turbo Bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 517 times)

Offline Scott Girvin

Damn Turbo Bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 24, 2004, 09:02:25 pm »
Since the install of the new GT10 the other day Ive been experiencing alot of lag. I did an intake pressure test today and fixed one small leak on the TB elbow. After the test the lag was still present so I decided to change out the exhaust manifold gasket because I reused my last one which was only a month or two old.  When I went to remove the manifold the turbo to manifold, new, bolts were really really tight to get loose. I tried extremely hard to get them to come loose easily. I warmed up the engine and tried Liquid Wrench, no go!! Long story short the end result...........

This is very depressing.  The two bolts that broke off are going to be a pain to get out and the threads are just right messed on the other holes. To top it off, there is a rise in the ridge on the housing from having to torque out the bolts. Oddly enough when I installed the bolts there was no problem. They went in very easily and I torqued them to spec......just my luck, sorry just venting.  Im goin to go out and get pissed :evil:

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 09:08:00 pm »
first things first.  Breath!...Now that you're calm the best thing to do would be to try and get a wrench on whatever is left of the bolts and hope it comes out.  If that doesn't work, you could always drill them out and retap them :?
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 09:23:32 pm »
Curious if you used any antiseize on the threads of the turbo bolts? that to me looks alot alike dissimilar metal galling. Is the new housing SS?

Oh and Jovan.... No your honda is not   :P
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 11:37:49 pm »
Yes, it's always a good idea to put some nickel based, i.e. 2400F antiseize on there.  Soak the broken bolts with some liquid wrench, then use an EZout to try and remove it.

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 03:51:33 am »
I didnt use anitsieze(sp) on the new bolts, they were only in the car for less than 24 hours before I removed them again. It looks like the bolts melted :? .  Kinda wierd I thought, I'll call Kinetic on Monday and see what my options are.....

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 11:55:24 am »
Quote from: "Fraser Cassells"
Oh and Jovan.... No your honda is not   :P

Better? :wink:
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)