Author Topic: how do you work coilovers?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Charn Gill

how do you work coilovers?
« on: November 23, 2003, 10:02:28 pm »
okay so i bought my car with coilovers and had it raised a bit when i bought it. just thinkin, how does one go about raising and lowering the car? is there a general method or way to raise and lower the car for all coilovers or is each brand have their own specific way to raise/lower the car? I mean, the whole purpose of coilovers is that you can raise and lower your car yourslef right? you shouldnt have to go to a shop to get it done everytime you wanted to right? so I got coilovers, but i dont know how to work them. I also have no idea which brand or type. all I know is that i have koni adj shocks and around those i got red springs (or yellow) and both above and below the springs are like flat pieces and thread. its between these thread that the sping is. i hope i dodnt confuse it any more that it already is......tanxs
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

AaronRichmond

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 10:36:40 pm »
ok you need a certain tool which comes with your coilovers to adjust them but if you dont have the tool there are other ways.  If you do have the tool all you do is raise your vehicle pull off the tires and you will see what to do (split the two nuts apart and adjust) its pretty basic.  Try taking the tires off and having a look and if you need any help then let us know.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 11:08:23 pm »
yeah, it should be pretty obvious if you take a look at them.  but you are asking so it's like this:

The spring has a fixed length under the static load of the car, the top perch (the ring that the top of the spring sits against) is fixed too.  So the only thing that can move is the bottom perch (the ring on the threaded section)

So to jack the car up, move the bottom perch up the threads, to lower the car move it down.  They work good because you only change the position of the spring perch, the spring length and shock position stay the same so you don't lose travel or change spring rate when you lower the car (within reason).  

Now, there might be more to it depending on the brand, because when you're driving and hitting bumps there's vibration and everything else and it'll move that bottom perch, which would mean you'd go set your ride hieght and be off driving then the car would slowly lower itself over time until you lay frame, that's bad btw  :o

So they'll be a locking system of some sort, either two nuts making up the bottom perch.  The top nut will be the perch, the bottom nut gets tightened into it to lock it in place.  Or the bottom perch will have a split in it and they'll be a small screw holding that split together, tighten the screw to clamp the perch onto the threads.  That's the ways I've seen it, their might be something different out there too.  

If you can't figure it out and have no luck then pull the wheel of and take a picture and we can all have a look-see.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 05:52:43 pm »
some of them are really easy too, like reach your hand in there and adjust them.  no jacking or anything.  Or so they say...
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Charn Gill

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 05:55:31 pm »
well i jack it by hand all the time... i like to raise the height but after a while it goes back down..... :laugh:  :laugh:  :twisted:  :laugh:  :laugh:
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 06:02:44 pm »
nice, now HE's telling us about his sex life too....

See what ya started Mike?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods