Author Topic: Prosport amber/white gauges wiring (headlight switch) on 1Gb?  (Read 456 times)

Offline Willem Kelly

• wewt turbo
Prosport amber/white gauges wiring (headlight switch) on 1Gb?
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:55:13 pm »
So I'm finally about to put these things in but where is the best place to tap for the orange wire for the headlights in a 1Gb?

These are the instructions from Prosport. So far I have this:

Red (12v accessory power): Stereo (I believe the wire was blue/white)
Black: Ground (dimmer switch ground)
White (12v accessory power): Cig. lighter
Orange - ????? (this needs to be connected to the headlights so the gauge turns amber when the headlights are on because it's easier on the eyes!)

I found this electrical manual for the car but I'm not sure where exactly to tap. On page 22 it has a nice diagram which makes me believe off the column switch near the plug would work best but I want to make sure I'm reading this right. Idears?

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
Re: Prosport amber/white gauges wiring (headlight switch) on 1Gb?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:33:44 pm »
I have the same gauges in my Laser.  Right now they are hooked up "wrong".  With the daytime running light circuit in effect the lights are always amber unless the car is off.  Granted, the white gauges are easier to see in the daytime but too bright at night.  Eventually i'll probably do something with the way the lights operate but for now the amber is fine.

I was thinking of changing the daytime running light circuit or just putting in a rocker switch to change between amber and white when I want.

Funnily enough, every once in a awhile one of the gauges stays white while the other is amber.  If I turn off the car and restart it the gauges will both go to amber.

Also, I do believe I did a direct ground to the chassis..... can't remember why..... but I do know that I didn't bother with dim-ability at the time.  Maybe i'll have another look at where I hooked up and why when I get a sec. 
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Willem Kelly

• wewt turbo
Re: Prosport amber/white gauges wiring (headlight switch) on 1Gb?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 11:54:44 pm »
I have the same gauges in my Laser.  Right now they are hooked up "wrong".  With the daytime running light circuit in effect the lights are always amber unless the car is off.  Granted, the white gauges are easier to see in the daytime but too bright at night.  Eventually i'll probably do something with the way the lights operate but for now the amber is fine.

I was thinking of changing the daytime running light circuit or just putting in a rocker switch to change between amber and white when I want.

Funnily enough, every once in a awhile one of the gauges stays white while the other is amber.  If I turn off the car and restart it the gauges will both go to amber.

Also, I do believe I did a direct ground to the chassis..... can't remember why..... but I do know that I didn't bother with dim-ability at the time.  Maybe i'll have another look at where I hooked up and why when I get a sec. 

Managed to get mine hooked up similar to yours and I had the amber/white working for a few minutes as well but I roasted my last fuse so I'll have to pick more up tomorrow and try again. Also it sounds like a good idea to setup a button to switch the gauges to white/amber on demand as well just in case.