Author Topic: Oil Filter Housing leak  (Read 817 times)

Offline KevinBuckham

Oil Filter Housing leak
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:31:29 pm »
I'm having trouble getting my 1990 oil filter housing to stop leaking.  I've narrowed the leak down to the bottom right-hand bolt between the oil pressure gauge sender and the pressure relief valve we normally port.  (Images for reference: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2527/ofhlabled.gif and http://dsmpartout.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/DSC_2433.jpg)

With a completely clean oil filter housing, I can see oil bubbling out of the head of this bolt when I start the motor.  I have tried using black RTV to seal it with no success.  I am now using Aviation Form-a-gasket on the bolt threads, and copper RTV near and on the bolt head.  Any other suggestions for a good way to seal this?

I figure this is caused because something is cracked (but I haven't seen the crack), or that's just the way the G4CS block is.  (I did notice that the bolt did have RTV on it when I removed it initially, and merely considered it odd as normally only the tensioner bolts need RTV.) 

All other threads about leaking 1990 oil filter housings have been either a failed gasket (second gasket here with the same problem), or oil generated higher up on the block.  As I can see the oil bubbling out from this bolt head I know that this is not my problem.

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: Oil Filter Housing leak
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:23:05 pm »
Aviation form-a-gasket fixed the leak from there.  Second leak is from an EBay fitting.  I should have known better, but I got it while Earls was giving me the run around.  I guess I'm off to get a couple of Aeroquip fittings tomorrow and hope the line is long enough.  This will be the 4th time I've drained the oil in this car in the last week.

Offline Ivan Skare

Re: Oil Filter Housing leak
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
Cleanliness and letting the sealant cure is key
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T