Author Topic: good rebuild shop?  (Read 828 times)

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
good rebuild shop?
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
Looking for a decent shop to rebuild my evo 4 transfer case as it sounds like a coffee grinder on decel between 2-3000rpm.
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: good rebuild shop?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:58:04 am »
probably not the tcase.  this noise is sometimes "normal" and caused by harmonics that reverberate out the t-case driveshaft from the backlash in the front diff.  Is made louder from lightweight flywheels, stiffer clutches, and removing balance shafts as well.  chased this noise for awhile on one of my cars.  having the tranny rebuild and backlash put to spec etc made it quieter.... but always was still noticeable.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:54:47 am »
Good to know! Ill just keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse.
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Phil Maki

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »
fluid changed? they don't take much and can leak through the brass plug in the yoke on the driveshaft....

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:51:02 pm »
Ya, changed all the fluids (even the ayc clutch bath) with oe Diaqueen oils. It all seems pretty dry. Normal to maybe leak between
t-case and tranny?
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:07 pm »
Ya, changed all the fluids (even the ayc clutch bath) with oe Diaqueen oils. It all seems pretty dry. Normal to maybe leak between
t-case and tranny?

i havn't seen it a ton... but its definalty possible.  most commonly the axle seal leaks (right above the t-case) and it looks like the t-case seal.  Also your style evo the engine is switched around, and the tcase/axle setup differs a bit i think.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.