Author Topic: Wastegate Lines  (Read 578 times)

Offline KevinBuckham

Wastegate Lines
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:29 am »
Anyone else run their wastegate lines behind the exhaust manifold?  I was running a silicone line behind the exhaust manifold to my wastegate during my driver training day on Sunday.  The line *looks* like it exploded. :)  I would guess that the failure was heat induced although I see no signs of melting or burning. 

I just had a M10 banjo mounted to Aeroquip stainless braided PTFE line (basically brake lines) to replace this, and then I'm going to wrap it with DEI fire sleeve.   I have 1/8NPT to -4AN 90 degree fittings that will attach to the boost control solenoid. What worries me a bit is that silicone is normally used for "fire proof" and "high temp" liner for hoses.   

I had no issues with this setup on the street or autox.  But the second 10 minute session on track was enough to do it in.

I guess this is more of a warning to everyone else, and to hear what everyone else has done.  This has me considering switching to nylon or kevlar braided lines for all the rest of my vacuum/boost lines, but I think I'll do that next winter.  (I hate how stainless braided lines saw through everything else they contact.  But both nylon and kevlar can't take the heat for this specific line.)

Offline John Hartman

Re: Wastegate Lines
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:08 pm »
just don't run it back there  ;)

hehe, how come?  Just for the cleaner look?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: Wastegate Lines
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:20 am »
My Tial 40 air fitting port is behind the wastegate and underneath the manifold (older FP turbine housing w/ a Tial40 flange). If I run my line across the top of the radiator, it would need to come across the top of the wastegate next to the power steering pump and snake underneath the manifold.   

I have a solenoid used for ECMLink boost control so it needs to be mounted in a cool place and the shortest line routing I can see goes behind the turbine housing and under the exhaust manifold.  Everything is ceramic coated, but I think it will all get heat blankets soon too.

Well at least *these* lines are now good to something like 2500 PSI.  I figure it might hold. ;)