Author Topic: New Member: 97 Black GSX  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Shant Movsessian

Re: New Member: 97 Black GSX
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:44 am »
welcome!

and get 4 same size tires on asap,for real.

You can actually overheat and sieze the center diff up, and if you are driving you can have severe control issues leading to a crash or hitting the ditch.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Yeah, I'll get 4 of the same sized tires for sure.  I assume for the future, that you'd want all the same profile type tires as well.  Like wtf happens when you have a flat and throw the spare on?

I'm just a little choked at the bellhousing cracking.  That AIN'T cheap.

Plus, the removal of the tranny is a bit much.  I'm used to just removing testpipes and a driveshaft, 8 bolts and out...Not 2 axles, a driveshaft, possibly the testpipe(?), plus the transfer case? Ugh.  And who knows what the tranny internals are like.  I suppose I could replace the clutch with the same transmission and see IF it drives, and take the bellhousing on after then...but damn, that's a lot of work!

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:05:14 am »
welcome!

and get 4 same size tires on asap,for real.

You can actually overheat and sieze the center diff up, and if you are driving you can have severe control issues leading to a crash or hitting the ditch.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Yeah, I'll get 4 of the same sized tires for sure.  I assume for the future, that you'd want all the same profile type tires as well.  Like wtf happens when you have a flat and throw the spare on?

I'm just a little choked at the bellhousing cracking.  That AIN'T cheap.

Plus, the removal of the tranny is a bit much.  I'm used to just removing testpipes and a driveshaft, 8 bolts and out...Not 2 axles, a driveshaft, possibly the testpipe(?), plus the transfer case? Ugh.  And who knows what the tranny internals are like.  I suppose I could replace the clutch with the same transmission and see IF it drives, and take the bellhousing on after then...but damn, that's a lot of work!

That's DSM life.

If you want a reliable fun DD, this aint it.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 04:58:42 pm »
it certainly can be.  But if you go hog wild on the mods it makes it harder.

Definately harder to do the tranny on any all wheel drive vehicle, but these are easier than some.  Audis pay upwards of 10hrs on thier quattro 5 and 6 spd ones.

The spare will be the same rolling diameter as the stock sized rubber, and its done on purpose.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »
Welcome! be it a little late!

Talk to Racing Greed and ask them for recommendations.
They might be able to fix your bell housing too.
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner