Author Topic: Car Seems to Lose Power  (Read 372 times)

Offline Greg Durban

Car Seems to Lose Power
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:56:32 pm »
So I just finished a refresh on my Laser motor. Went to do the break in on it and at full throttle, under full load the car goes fine up until around 3500-4000 RPM. Now I know this is a fairly common issue on DSM's I apologize in advance for this post, I am just way to beat to sit and search for three hours trying to figure out my problem, and to top it off I forgot my manual out at the shop :boo:

If I am about half throttle I can get it to rev up to 5-6000+ RPM but as soon as I go full throttle on dry pavement it has a massive hesitation and seems to lose all power. Definitly doesn't pull like my other stockers. Any input on this situation is greatly appreciated. After work tomorrow i'm gonna throw some new brp6es' in and gap them, possibly throw on some newer wires and do a boost leak test. Any other ideas just throw em at me.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Chad Giffen

Re: Car Seems to Lose Power
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
Sounds like ignition. Replace your cam angle sensor with a known good one.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »
Sounds good, thanks for the quick response. Will try that out tomorrow, pretty sure I have a half dozen CAS kickin around, so I should hope one of them is good.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:10:03 pm »
If that doesn't work, log it see if it's fuel or maybe they is in stop and go traffic the. You hit the high way with a hot small fm or smic?

Honestly I had the same issue 4500+ at wot it would get jumpy untill I took off. It would hit 9000rpm at half power. Anything more and she would twich hard. I changed everything posable the ended up with ecu isuues 4 months down the road.

Logging is the fastest easyest way to find the issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:09 am »
Sounds like your hitting knock and its retarding the timing.

Do you have a way to datalog it to check your knock counts/timing advance?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:22 am »
I had that happen in another car when my ignitor was going bad as well.
Spark plugs to sometimes!

88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:02:17 am »
My buddy picked up a 1gb talon and it had this problem. We replaced the spark plugs and wires and the problem went away, good luck on getting her fixed
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »
Spent about twenty minutes on the car tonight, changed out the plugs, wires, and CAS. Started it up and took it for a little burn. It would pull all the way through the RPM range. Was pretty stoked about it so I beat on it a little bit, caused my engine light to come on and it was sounding like it was missing a cylinder. Babied it back to the shop and by the time I made it there the misfire and engine light had gone away. Seems like it may be fixxed and I just need to get my clips on the injectors and Power Transistor now.

Thanks again for all the input and advice. Love the BCDSM crew for the great hospitality and people on here. Will keep you updated on how it turns out, this cars gonna be my budget 300hp build  ;D
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS