Author Topic: cooling problem  (Read 401 times)

Offline j.l.forsen

cooling problem
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »
so recently my vehicles cooling system has been up and down at random times. sometimes itll almost get to boiling but then go down to normal and sometimes it wont do anything at very random times during a drive. so i thought it was a sticky thermostat, replaced that and still happens. any ideas? also i dont know if its related but my heater doesnt seem to be working either, i dont know if its just a coincidence and the heater core is screwed or what.

thanks

Offline Jordan Kruger

Re: cooling problem
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »
Is your windshield getting wet on the inside?   do you have coolant under the dash running to the floor? 
that would point to heater core..

Make sure your rad fan/s are coming on correctly. You may have a dead fan relay  etc...
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:31:45 pm »
I hate to ask the obvious, but are you low on coolant per chance? Symptoms indicate so. If not go with previous suggestions above.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:38:15 pm »
yep, check the level.

also, seeing as you recently replaced the tstat, make sure you burped out all the air.  If there is an air bubble, you will see these exact symptoms.

could also be a partially plugged rad, partially plugged heater core, obstructed line, failing water pump etc.  Or it could be a head gasket.  If the head gasket it still good, it won't be if you drive the car with the temp much above the normal middle position.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »
Change your coolant.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »
a good idea for maintenance, but even if he is running straight water, its not going to cause it to run cool sometimes and overheat other times.

Of course if he pressure flushes it and it removes some blockages, that will indeed help it maintain its, err cool  ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
sounds like a headgasket problem starting to rear its ugly head maybe....

You you dont find any obvious leaks... or after you top up the coolant and go for a hard drive and it pushes coolant out the overflow tank....  suspect the worst...  (headgasket)
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline j.l.forsen

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:43:22 am »
head gasket was just done a year ago so im hoping its not that, the last drive i took nothing happened so ill keep my eye on it. and yes coolant level is up

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:47:03 pm »
hehe, I would say worst case would be a cracked head or block, but yea, bad if its the head gasket again.  Tho if it was done slightly incorrectly, its easily possible its gone again.