Author Topic: clutch issues....  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Dave Ingham

Re: clutch issues....
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:25 am »
Jason, by looking at your signature, your car appears to be a fwd. If your car is indeed a fwd and you have the fwd slave cylinder installed, you can purchase the awd slave cylinder and that will give you greater clutch travel due to its smaller bore diameter. I tried nearly everything on my old talon to try and make the clutch engagement better, and this is the only thing the made a noticeable difference. There is a downside however, the clutch pedal will also be harder to push, and you will need to make some modifications to your front motor mount with a angle grinder. The mods can be done in the car however, and its not that hard to do.
1992 Talon TSi FWD ~ 380whp - Parted Out
1997 Talon TSi AWD ~ stock - Traded In
2010 Focus Coupe SES ~ 5000k HID Headlights, 3000k HID Fogs, RallyArmor Urethane Mudflaps, and 20% rear tint - Daily Driver

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
Jason, by looking at your signature, your car appears to be a fwd. If your car is indeed a fwd and you have the fwd slave cylinder installed, you can purchase the awd slave cylinder and that will give you greater clutch travel due to its smaller bore diameter. I tried nearly everything on my old talon to try and make the clutch engagement better, and this is the only thing the made a noticeable difference. There is a downside however, the clutch pedal will also be harder to push, and you will need to make some modifications to your front motor mount with a angle grinder. The mods can be done in the car however, and its not that hard to do.

Dave, thanks for the suggestion, but I have two - the awd is the one that currently has the problem with the clutch.

The fwd has entirely different problems altogether, of course - it is a DSM after all....
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:34 pm »
I found this link offers some helpful  tips.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Dave Ingham

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »
Well then my guess would that something is wrong with the z-bar. You can get a rebuild one from http://www.sheptrans.com/driveline/dsm_awd.htm
1992 Talon TSi FWD ~ 380whp - Parted Out
1997 Talon TSi AWD ~ stock - Traded In
2010 Focus Coupe SES ~ 5000k HID Headlights, 3000k HID Fogs, RallyArmor Urethane Mudflaps, and 20% rear tint - Daily Driver

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »
I currently over came this issue with my new Act clutch, under days adjustment, shimmed pivot ball, and extended slave rod. Don't know if ur still having this problem. Best of luck
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
I currently over came this issue with my new Act clutch, under days adjustment, shimmed pivot ball, and extended slave rod. Don't know if ur still having this problem. Best of luck

Brent:

I replaced the master cylinder rod with a longer one, and added a nut to the clip that attaches to the pedal assembly.

Ultimately, I had a friend make up brass bushings for the pedal assembly and we welded the living shit out of it.

Complete night and day difference after welding the assembly.

Either do it yourself (but you have to replace the plastic bushings with brass) or get the whole works redone by Sheptrans.

1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com