Author Topic: Auto tran won't shift out of 2nd  (Read 765 times)

Offline Emerson Thomas

Auto tran won't shift out of 2nd
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:11:10 am »
Hello.. Been a long time since I've owned a dsm.. I bought a 1GA auto with low kms, 127xxx.. It shifts into park, reverse, neutral, and drive... A lil clunky but the fluid probly needs changing.. But the interesting part is that when put into drive, it doesn't matter what gear with or without over drive on (Wich doesn't work), it automatically shifts into 2nd gear and nothing else..
I'm not an auto tranny guy.. Any suggestions...?
-1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg RS 4G61T white.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-1991 Tuxedo Talon TSI AWD auto, stock
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..
..and bring some timing too

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: Auto tran won't shift out of 2nd
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:20 am »
your trans is in limp mode. check the TCU codes. here is a link on how to do it.
http://plymouthlaser.com/

You should get a new set of OD clutches as well. that will help more than I can explain. everything you need is here. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/mitsubishiauto.shtml

I got the work done at berts in surrey, shift kit and end cluthes as well as a full fluid change for under $400. If the tranny is shot, I have a spare I might be willing to sell. It works.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Emerson Thomas

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:09:10 am »
Ok.. Thanks for the very informed response, I am going to check the tcu codes today.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:00:36 am »
What exactly does the shift kit do for you Marke? Narrower gears at the front and wider at the back or does it just strengthen it?
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:10:54 am »
A shift kit is a modification to the valve body. It requires drilling holes to allow more pressure and fluid flow. Upgrading springs will give faster and firmer shifts through all gears. there is no gear changing in an auto DSM. There is also a manual valve mod that can be done to your stock manual valve, but mine broke after about a year or so, I would get the pre-modified one from IPT. I have had that one in for 4 years now.

Also if you are doing upgrades to the auto, get a larger external trans fluid cooler and switch over to full synthetic. A trans temp gauge wouldn't hurt either. Just these things alone will be good for close to 500hp at the crank.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:28:53 pm »
Coo thanks!
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 04:52:32 am »
and also, just so you know, with autos, the shift kit/shift improver will make your clutch packs last longer too as they slip less when the shift is firmer.  Don't go crazy for a daily driver street car, but anything is better than the stock sloppy behaviour.

Also the Berts on Kingsway in Van is probably closer for Emerson and I know they do a good job, but with autos, there is also Benz in Maple Ridge, we use them at work and they do a great job.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Emerson Thomas

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »
i replaced the Tcu and its shifting normaly now (thanks marke). ive never driven an auto dsm before but it seems as though first gear slips allot on innitial take off, is that normal...? next step is a fluid and filter change, shift kit and end clutches in the new year.

When i opened the original tcu.. there were no leaky capaciters or visual damage.. its an eprom unit, is there anyone who knows how to test/fix these..? I also would like to rplace the caps in the ecu before they go bad.. anyone out there that still does this?
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »
I also would like to rplace the caps in the ecu before they go bad.. anyone out there that still does this?

Get get all my sockets and caps soldering work done by phil at evolution.  He does a really good job.  I have had him do three EPROM ecu's for me now and they all turned out perfect.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:17:11 pm »
I also would like to rplace the caps in the ecu before they go bad.. anyone out there that still does this?

Get get all my sockets and caps soldering work done by phil at evolution.  He does a really good job.  I have had him do three EPROM ecu's for me now and they all turned out perfect.

+1 for Phil, craftsman extrodinare
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.