Author Topic: Few Issues  (Read 470 times)

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
Few Issues
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:09:55 pm »
Hey guys so I have a few issues on my new 2G Talon that you guys could help me out with:

1) Brake lights are on, but do not light up when I press the brakes, 3rd spoiler light also does not light up. Bulbs in tail lights were fine and so was the fuse, never checked the 3rd brake light bulb

2) Cruise control switch turns on, lights up, then when I press the lever down and let go the cruise light shows up on the dash for about a half a second and disappears, cruise never engages. Not sure if it is related but my gauge cluster lights don't turn on, only the backlights behind it

Thanks

Offline Dave Ingraham

Re: Few Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:04:19 pm »
You need to check and see if there is power to brake light switch.    Than see if power is leaving the switch.    Maybe just as simple as a misadjusted switch or a inop one.

Your brake light issue maybe the cause of the cruise not working.    Fix the lights than go after the cruise control.   

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:32:59 pm »
You need to check and see if there is power to brake light switch.    Than see if power is leaving the switch.    Maybe just as simple as a misadjusted switch or a inop one.

Your brake light issue maybe the cause of the cruise not working.    Fix the lights than go after the cruise control.   

Is the switch around the pedal?

Offline Dave Ingraham

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:08:22 pm »

Is the switch around the pedal?

Yes should be up under the dash, right by the pedal assembly.   

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:09 am »

Had a similar issue on my Malibu and it turned out to be corrosion on a connector causing a faulty signal. Because of this my cruise control would not work and also at one time stuck on on me while driving down the highway trying to brake for a corner.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:13:23 am »
yeah both problems seem related... I would say you have a missadjustment of the brake switch.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:05 pm »
+1, good call Dave.  If the brake pedal switch is sending a signal that the brakes are on, the cruise won't engage.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »
Everything has been solved. The switch wasn't getting power and the cruise control was related!

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:45:35 pm »
good to hear it was a simple fix!