Author Topic: Intercooler + Rad sprayer.  (Read 379 times)

Offline Jordan Kruger

Intercooler + Rad sprayer.
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:52 pm »
So i found an old windshield reservoir that I ripped out of my 1988 sunbird back in the day..   turns out the Delco pump on the reservoir still works!. So I decided to mount it up and run power to it ;)     Im wiring it with my meth solenoid signal wire so the intercooler and rad get a very light mist as soon as im at full boost.     Im locating the 2 nozzles in the front bumper facing the intercooler and radiator.     Today, me and Vlad connected up the fan switch and ran new power to the relay so the fans will work at operating temps again, rather than constant.    heres some pics of what I did.

The windshield reservoir and delco pump from a 1988 sunbird

Its mounting tabs.

I decided to mount it infront of my tranny since it fit well there.    I fab'd 2 brackets which both mounted to  2 tranny bolts

The reservoir mounted below the intake pipe.

Heres where Im putting 2 light mist nozzles.  :D

I dont expect any real gains other than a more controlled running temp (especially while boosting)  and possibly lower intake temps   :)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:42:39 pm by Jordan Kruger »
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Intercooler + Rad sprayer.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »
Hilariously the only other person I know of on this forum that has done this is me... on that car :D

I removed it because I ended up putting it on another car, but I did the same basic thing as you're doing. For the record, home depo has a great selection of little garden misters of various patterns and sizes. I think I bought two 180° nozzles, one in front of the rad and one in front of the intercooler. Mine were just on a switch though as I didn't have a pressure trigger like you do with the meth system. I just ran it to a WOT-triggered switch on the TB
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »
hahah i was doing this way back in like 2003.  Worked good with ice +water spraying 4 winshield nozzles at the stock 1g smic in my colt
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »
lol!    I figured it would be beneficial on hot days.  I just came back from picking up standard help section super sprayer nozzles.  They are just like the ones that spray the windshield, and they are directional.    Im just going to bend up a couple small directional light-gauge sheetmetal mounts so I can mount the nozzles and direct them.   This mod is REALLY easy.     I also got rid of my hood seal  so the air enters the engine bay with less disruption. hopefully helping the water stay airborne and rush through the intercooler to the radiator.   I look forward to trying it out.    Today me and Vlad got the timing set pretty good, and the car already rips with no knock. Cant wait to see what tuning and this little added benefit do for my numbers.  :D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »
it definately does work.  Spray it at the hot end of the intercooler.  monitor intake temps(your IAT sensor is after your intercooler but before your post turbo nozzles right?)  it will help.

The more dense you can make the air, the more O2 in the charge, the bigger the bang.

Only downfall is that you have one more set of parts to fail and maintain and keep full.

An upgrade for later is a headlight washer pump from something like an older Audi or Benz.  those are high flow and high pressure and you can probably run a few small nozzles and not loose any pressure.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:29 pm »
Sadly the nozzle at the TB is located immediately above the IAT which may cause a problem with readings once the nozzle fires, possibly soaking the IAT.   I didnt fabricate the 3'" tb elbow with the bungs located that close. I believe the port was previously used for NOS,  now its a meth nozzle. :)

I havent spent anymore time on this tonight but ill be at it again tomorrow.  I hope the nozzles I bought perform good enough     My only real concern is it spraying an excessive amount of water.  In which case, ill put in an adjustable restrictor. If it sprays too heavily for my liking ill go to a different style nozzle.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »
Its all wrapped up.   I may play with nozzles   but they current windshield style are working great.  Ive wired it into my methanol solenoid and it fires perfectly when the methanol is activated.  The next hot day Im driving the car, this should pay off   :)