Author Topic: External Wastegate Q.  (Read 637 times)

Offline Jordan Kruger

External Wastegate Q.
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »
I currently dont have the top port on my tial wg hooked up. I understand its purpose in increasing the pressure beyond its spring tension. (like a regulator and its pitot tube)       Im just wondering if anyone is running theirs hooked up    and if they noticed any difference in boost performance...  rather than relying on bleeding more air and assisting the spring tension that way....     

In theory it should allow for a smoother boost onset due to the added pressure above the diaphragm...    but let me know what you think.

The reason I ask is because I plan on running roughly 30psi with meth. Should I incorporate the top portion of the wg? Or just adjust my boost controller more?
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: External Wastegate Q.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:12:00 pm »
The top port is for an electronic boost controller. If you only have a MBC, then you just use the side port.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
ic ic.     originally my car used it even with the a manual boost controller.    and the line that went to the top portion was bled...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:01:05 pm »
yep.  If you have a good electronic controller, use the top port.  It can help keep it closed for better spoolup.  I may actually put my electronic controller in to gain that benefit.

But with a good manual controller, just connect to the bottom. Boost is controlled well.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 04:27:08 pm »
gotcha.    good infoz