Author Topic: Where do you get your OEM parts  (Read 948 times)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
Re: Where do you get your OEM parts
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:48:07 pm »
I'll add to this, i've done numerous timing belts using Contitech belts, in 5 years i've never had one come back.  Mind you they were all done on Volvos.
Personally if it was my car, i'd use the OEM Mitsu. belts, like i've already done.  Then you only have to worry about the tensioner crapping the bed! Go OEM on that too!!
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »
at RG, we've been using Conti on all types of customer cars for years with ZERO failures!

from stock to HIGH HP builds, we've havent had a problem with them.  this includes a number of customers 500+whp cars and the 1109whp supra we just tuned.

Brett, i think yan's scenario could come up with a few conclusions but thats a bit off topic.  i believe yan was driving under normal conditions when his engine failed, and resulting in a damaged belt (conti).  

i think no matter the brand, if a belt "fails" its usually the result of another component failing (a tensioner, an oil pump, ect, ect) or improper install or is someone was foolish and soaked their belt in oils.  

would we all be saying Greddy belts are junk if someone happened to be running one when their engine failed???
probably not lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:59:43 pm by andrew volcz »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:13:11 am »
yeah im not stating that they are junk at all... just that i have seen/ or seen evidence that a few of them fail before their time on more then one occasion.

I resurected this thread to disscuss what people's experiences have been with OEM stuff or OEM quaility stuff (as contitech is)

no worries about going off topic... 

What is the conlusions on why the conti belt failed on yan's engine?  From what i heard the engine was completly dissasembled by yan and a friend and there were no causes found (besides the stripped teeth).

now i know he had problems getting the engine to turn over with the fluid damper installed on his new engine (stock 6 bolt)... that seems like a probable cause if the crank pully seized the crank somehow and then the cams kept there motion, stripping the teeth right off the belt...  thats a lot of force...  but the cams dont have a ton of weight to them...hrrmm  i dunno!!

lets hear what u think!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.