Author Topic: Rockers & Lash Adjusters  (Read 960 times)

Offline Greg Durban

Rockers & Lash Adjusters
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:49 am »
I recently got my head back from the machine shop after being decked and when I took it in I didn't remove the lash adjusters and such but rather the machine shop. When they removed everything they didn't mark them in any way so as to tell which hole they came out of. So basically I am just curious as to how important it is that they each make it back to there original spots.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Rockers & Lash Adjusters
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:17 am »
Doesn't matter where the go.  Intake or exhuast they are all the same.

Throw em in there!!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:27 am »
Awesome, thanks for the help Brett. I was just reading my manual for the car and what not and in there it goes on about being sure to label them all and put them back exactly so wanted a second opinion.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »
its best if they are back in the original bores as they sort of "wear in" togeather, the bore and lifter.

But like Brett said, they will work ok in any hole, unless one is damaged.  When you lube them up, try each one and make sure none are to tight or too sloppy.

Use a fair amount of assembly lube on the lifters/bores, the rocker arms and the cam bearings.  Don't be shy.  And don't just use engine oil, the assembly lube is readily availiable and cheap.  A new head ruined due to damaged cam caps is not.

The cam caps on the other hand MUST be back in the correct location and orientation.  They are marked however, so triple check.  Your head and possibly the cams too, will be damaged if you run it with the cam caps on incorrectly.  The torque is also very small, 12-14lbs/ft
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »
yup, i have personally mixed them up and put them in whatever hole i put them in... done this on probably 10 different engines... never had a issue whatsoever.

the tq spec for cam cap bolts is 14 ft/lbs as John stated..

Good luck!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:00 pm »
I remember reading in the manual somewhere about labelling all these, so i spent an extra 45 minutes labelling them all in seperate baggies, only to find out right after that it really doesn't matter.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:10:19 pm »
Just make sure you bleed them down before you install them. It might be a good idea to clean them out well too to help out with any ticky ones. Also if you need any spares I have tonnes of leftover 1g ones.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »
Also make sure to check all of the mating surfaces on the rockers to make sure they are in good shape. I have come across a few that had pitting where they ride on the valve as well as scoring on the roller.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP