Author Topic: All driving lights always on  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Richard Steger

Re: All driving lights always on
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 04:34:01 pm »
For quite a few years, Chrysler cars were using side markers as DRL's, their minivans come to mind, neons, pt cruisers...
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 05:05:34 pm »
For quite a few years, Chrysler cars were using side markers as DRL's, their minivans come to mind, neons, pt cruisers...

I am sure they changed it to regular low beams due to concerns where people can't see their American junk when driven in poor visible conditions ~  ;)

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 12:14:41 am »
I remove the DRL module diode everytime the car is dyno tune as it is too much stress on the battery to have all the light on when the car is not running.

You say I can desolder something and make the headlight switch functional.

I just don't like all the lights on (with a mini battery) when I am tuning.
And I would like to put some blue headlights on but only if I can shut them off .

It was a very long time ago but if my memory is still any good the chip/module has 4(?) wires. I found that when disconnecting one of them from that harness the park lights went out. But they stayed functional when the switch was operated and the headlight portion remained lit when the key was ON. That's all I can remember, but now you have me questioning whether I removed the connection on the chip or simply left the wire out of the harness. Pretty sure I removed a leg of the chip though...

There were never any instructions for this so my apologies for not remembering anything else!
Kristopher

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »
Like others have said, all 3 of the 1Gs I've owned have had the lights always on from stock.  Just an easy DRL mod for Chrysler when they had to meet Canadian rules.  I've pulled the DRL chip and it just disables that always-on feature.  After that the lights work as usual from the switch, either all off, oranges and reds and dashlights, or all the lights on.  I like them disabled so the lights aren't on when the car is counting down on the turbo timer, attracts too much attention and annoying helpful people ("Hey! You left your lights on!")

I generally always drive with the park lights on during the day and obviously with the headlights on at night or in the evening.  

Even with regular headlight only DRLs I like the park lights on because on lousy rainy or foggy days, especially with a grey or a dark coloured car it's way more visible from behind with the taillights on.  As for the front I don't notice any difference between traffic with orange lights or with regular headlights for DRLs.  I quickly spot them both and they're both way more visible than a car with no lights on.  I like the look of just park lights better though.  
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*