Author Topic: I think I got this pic-post figured out..  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Richard Clark

Re: I think I got this pic-post figured out..
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 10:31:11 pm »
I made it through with my N, don't know how, but I did.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 05:22:37 am »
that N program is evil... effective, but still evil none the less.

Effective my ass. They target N drivers. Integrated Road Safety and regular RCMP target N drivers

"Muahahaha another N FUCK YEAH! Let's see how many ticket we can give this shit head. Oh what 61 in a 60. That'll be $192. No N, there's $110. Tread on the one tire's a bit low. VI. I think you have tint on the driver and passenger windows. Wait did I also just see you pull aside without signaling? Driving without due care hehe. That one sucks buddy cuz it's 6 points"

Then whoever makes it through this bullshit redundant system... Drives like a cock on the road ANYWAY.

/RANT

Ken here's your thread back
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 10:06:29 am »
 :) No worries Maurits

Back when I was 19, I was able to 'afford' a brand-new car, so I went & bought a Monte-Carlo SS...I couldn't make a trip across town without being harassed because I looked too young to be driving in the first place, let alone such a 'hot' car (that in itself is a laugh, don't get me started on GM garbage & dealer rape)

regards
Ken
1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
I somehow made it through the N program almost completely unscathed... One warning for speeding - Entering a school zone on the way to school and I was already almost down to the speed limit by the time I saw him. Played dumb ("No I usually come from the other way) and got away with it.

Not that it matters. All it does is delay the eventuality that stupid drivers are stupid drivers and always will be stupid drivers - Trying to make them behave for the first couple years won't change their habits down the road one bit.

(Not to imply, Maurits, that you're a bad driver. I know firsthand that that's not the case).
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 09:15:58 pm »
The program also warns regular drivers of the N Drivers too. As I have matured I get cautious when I see a N driver pass me or driving close to me.  N equals be aware of the newbie
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 09:39:38 pm »
The program also warns regular drivers of the N Drivers too. As I have matured I get cautious when I see a N driver pass me or driving close to me.  N equals be aware of the newbie

I resent that.

As drivers "mature" and gain "experience" they also develop habits. No shoulder checks. Lack of signaling. Stop signs? WTF is a stop sign? It's like all the "experienced" drivers don't know what STOP means - though I did get busted for rolling a stop sign. My excuse: I followed what was taught to me by experienced drivers.. that's the point of the program, right? Lead by example? :P

On the other hand, there are shitty drivers everywhere. The shitty N drivers will give us good ones a bad rep.

It's not fair to generalize. All N drivers are shitty and you should beware of them is saying that... having sex will give you a STD. Don't fuck ever.
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 12:16:13 pm »
You don't wanna know the shit I got away with "back in the day" :o

I am FOR a graduated system, but I am AGAINST a '1 strike yer out!' approach they apply. We are also too egalitarian vis-a-vis driving...not everyone can be a gymnast, a hockey player, or a professional musician, but we somehow expect that everyone who passes a (joke of) a driving test is a competent driver. If parallel parking is such an indication of competence, why can a new car do that all by itself?

We should adopt the Finland method of driver licensing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

This is one of my favorite "Top Gear" segments; I would love to start a grass roots race league like the one featured. There is nothing to match door-to-door competition ;D

regards
Ken

PS ADDED - I recalled the original segment as featuring an actual Finnish drivers' exam, which included starting & recovering from skids & spins, panic stops, drifts, etc; perhaps that was a different episode.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:32:31 am by Ken Hawkins »
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 12:21:47 pm »
I am FOR a graduated system, but I am AGAINST a '1 strike yer out!' approach they apply. We are also too egalitarian vis-a-vis driving...not everyone can be a gymnast, a hockey player, or a professional musician, but we somehow expect that everyone who passes a (joke of) a driving test is a competent driver. If parallel parking is such an indication of competence, why can a new car do that all by itself?

'Nuff said...

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 01:47:47 pm »
The program also warns regular drivers of the N Drivers too. As I have matured I get cautious when I see a N driver pass me or driving close to me.  N equals be aware of the newbie

I resent that.

As drivers "mature" and gain "experience" they also develop habits. No shoulder checks. Lack of signaling. Stop signs? WTF is a stop sign? It's like all the "experienced" drivers don't know what STOP means - though I did get busted for rolling a stop sign. My excuse: I followed what was taught to me by experienced drivers.. that's the point of the program, right? Lead by example? :P

On the other hand, there are shitty drivers everywhere. The shitty N drivers will give us good ones a bad rep.

It's not fair to generalize. All N drivers are shitty and you should beware of them is saying that... having sex will give you a STD. Don't fuck ever.

Well being from our society its inevitable to generalize.....its unfortunate but true...Most N drivers are new so they are unsure of what to do in certain situations hence to be cautious when say you are in their blind spot. I do agree with you some mature drivers can and are usually just as bad if not worse. Thats why I liked to be at the front of the pack in traffic  ;D We are creatures of habitual tendencies so ya...getting that solid foundations helps all drivers in the long run
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 03:19:30 am »
i still have my N and i've had it for over 4 years. i was 12 days away from getting my class 5 when it got taken away for 2 months. then when i got it back they said my N started over. mother f*cker. so now i'm 8 days away from my class 5 test again. finally. and what have i learned in my long years of being in the graduated licensing program that i couldn't have learned without it? absolutely f*cking nothing. the only thing i've been taught is that if you have an N on your car, you better watch your ass cuz they're looking for you.

perfect example: me and my buddy (who has his class 5) got into a debate as to whether or not N drivers are targeted. we both have almost identical driving styles and habits. so we agreed to swap, he'd put an N on his car and i'd take mine off (GASP i know! took my N off?!?!?!!? omfg!) and we'd drive from coquitlam center to 2nd beach at Davie and Denman. and we weren't allowed to alter our driving styles, just drive normally. needless to say, he ended up getting a ticket for speeding (13kms/hr over the limit) and having a balding FRONT tire. how'd the cop know he had a balding tire? he went over the entire car looking for something to snag him on of course. so i won, and he bought me a beer.

second example: me and my fiance both drove our cars separately and met up at the lookout at SFU @ 10pm on a weekday. i parked my car in the lot and jumped in hers. we drove to mcd's and back. as we pull back into the parking lot where my car is there's a cop sitting at the back of the lot on the other side from where my car is. she pulls up to my car, i hop out, jump in my car (1gb, N/A, FWD nothing fancy) and drive away. as soon as i pull outta the lot i see the cop pull away from where he was parked. so i continue driving down the small narrow road towards the main road at EXACTLY the speed limit. not 1km/hr over. EXACTLY the limit. i get to the stop sign, come to a COMPLETE stop, look both ways, signal, look both ways again, and pull out onto the main road that heads towards hastings. i even shoulder checked as i made a right-hand turn just to be 110% i wasn't doing anything wrong. as i'm going down the hill the cop is right behind me the whole time. again, i'm going EXACTLY the limit. to the point where i was watching my speedo more than the road. i get down to the lights at the Chevron at the bottom of the hill. i signal, shoulder check, then merge into the turning lane and come to a complete stop before the white line. when the light turns green, i look both ways to check for cross-traffic, accelerate through the intersection and into the middle lane (cuz your supposed to turn into the lane you left from which is what i did) and continued driving. at this point he's still right behind me and i'm thinking "there's no WAY i'm gonna get pulled over. i've done EVERYTHING i can possibly..." lights up his cherries and pulls me over. god dammit. turns out i didn't have my N on the back. $110 ticket. but here's the kicker: how'd he know i needed an N on my car? there's no visual clue on cars that need Ns. he must have ran my plates. but why'd he run my plates? hmm, good question

i guess that 2nd story doesn't really mean they target N drivers, but if it weren't for the GLP then they'd have less excuses to do random plate checks on "sports" cars.
/rant
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 09:26:03 am »
Mby thats the reason I made it through the graduated licensing, I only ever had my N on going to and from school as cops would sit there doing there checks for it.  Maurits hates the fact that I slipped through with only one ticket.

I once got pulled over in my gray 1g, was doing 70 in a 50, and didnt signal going through a round about.  Cop comes upto the window,  "Nice car!  I had one of these, I rolled it on a logging road" He didn't even mention the fact that I was speeding,  Owning a DSM came in handy at that point.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 10:46:17 am »
Maurits hates the fact that I slipped through with only one ticket.

No. I hate the fact that people like you slip through with no or one tickets... And people like me. Who do everything right 90% of the time. Displaying N, stopping. Signaling. Being respectful. Not being a tool. Get caught the one time I put my foot down.

The first day I got my DSM it was after 6.30pm.. Just got it insured. Went for a drive with a buddy - of course I had no N on the back of it - and drove throught a road block. Ticket :) how nice. The cop then tells me I can get it at any insurance company. The fucking insurance company told me they don't hand out Ns you have to get them from the Access Centre (Service BC) but the fucking access centre closes at 5pm. At that time you couldn't print the Ns for temporary use and the fucking cop wouldn't give me one because "I usually have some in my car.. I guess I forgot to pack some this time"

So how the FUCK are people supposed to graduate the "graduated licensing" system... if they make it fucking harder to do.

When I get my license back, I'm taking that big fucking cop-magnet off the back of my car - fuck it I'm taking it off now.

[Sorry Ken - We've officially raped your thread :-\ ]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:50:42 am by Maurits Vos »

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:50 am »
No worries ;D, it was a minor thread anyway. I was just goofin' around.
And I certainly understand the need to vent

As Bill Murray once said "Don't drive angry. Don't drive angry!"

Regards
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project