Author Topic: progress.......  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Mark Guthrie

Re: progress.......
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 12:05:32 pm »
ahahha ya justin, he's on his 3rd ecotec i think, its fully built now, hes hoping not to grenade this one so soon hahhaha, but we'll see what happens

It will grenade again.

i think it will too, but who knows, last year he blew it up a couple times, the first time the turbo grenaded a propeller through the motor lol he rebuilt the motor new turbo and it fried a piston, new pistons blew it up again, then went and got a new motor and put in forged pistons eagle rods the stock cranks have been tested to handle anywhere around 450-600 hp so i think he might be alright now, hes slowly breaking the car in, i dont even think he's hit 10lbs of boost yet lol
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

patrickWoo

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 10:14:29 am »
tell him to swap a 4G63 in there and call it a day.  :P

or use my V6 when I'm done my swap.  8)

Interesting that you are opting to reverse back into the previous generation Galant VR4's engine.  My guess is it would be much easier to build more power in the long run for a 4G63 engine.

Personally I didn't see nothing bad about the twin turbo 2.0L V6, except for the fact that its an import and getting parts and other aftermarket performance mod is pretty expensive and hard to get.

yeah lack of local parts and support is a major concern for a car of this vintage....like... I probably need a timing belt change in another 20000km but I doubt I'll be able to get one anywhere in North America. And then there's the water pump, and then there's the hydraulic tensioner, and then there's the pulley....

Well MAYBE Mexico because they have some VR4s running around. Otherwise if anything pops on this engine I'm SOL.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 10:35:51 am »
ahahha ya justin, he's on his 3rd ecotec i think, its fully built now, hes hoping not to grenade this one so soon hahhaha, but we'll see what happens

It will grenade again.

i think it will too, but who knows, last year he blew it up a couple times, the first time the turbo grenaded a propeller through the motor lol he rebuilt the motor new turbo and it fried a piston, new pistons blew it up again, then went and got a new motor and put in forged pistons eagle rods the stock cranks have been tested to handle anywhere around 450-600 hp so i think he might be alright now, hes slowly breaking the car in, i dont even think he's hit 10lbs of boost yet lol

It's more than just the parts being used.
Its the tuning.

Like last time his timing belt slipped a few teeth as well.

He spends money on quality parts it seems, but theres always a corner cut some where that comes back to get him.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI