Author Topic: Need Advice...and some experienced help...  (Read 431 times)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

Need Advice...and some experienced help...
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:38:41 pm »
I am looking into getting a ss header/ex manifold. I refuse to spend 800$ at lordco so I went on ebay. now for reasonable prices I found some nice looking products. I like 2.
First would be the noname, ebay cheap guy, 129.99 + 55 shipped.
And the 2nd would be an OBX manifold, which is 225 + unkown shipping costs, say 80 to be safe (he ships to the us for 25$)

Just want to know some background, on the ebay stuff...is it quality? I know a friend who bought a header for his z24 cavalier...and it went yellowish after getting hot...ID PREFER THAT NOT TO HAPPEN TO THE MANIFOLD I CHOOSE. will the ebay one go yellow? and if it will do you know if the OBX one will. IS THERE A HEADER THAT DOES NOT TURN YELLOW?

opinions? answers?

EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280231371012

AND THE OBX: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170223603060
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Need Advice...and some experienced help...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:09:34 am »
SS headers will always change color after getting heated up the first time; thats normal (Usually they get some blue/purple in them as well right at the start of piping)

I've used a few ebay/no name components on my cars, and have never had a problem, but I usually buy simple things like Downpipes and headers. I don' tknow if i'd trust anything more complicated, but those kinds of parts are so simple; all you really need to do to protect yourself is make sure the seller will allow you to return the item if you find a defect within 24 hours of receiving it, and then as soon as you get it inspect all the welds/cuts to make sure you don' t have any holes.

With something like a header if you do that and worst case happens and it develops a crack/hole later on you can just bring it to a shop and get it repaired for a small cost. If you want to be extra paranoid (like i'd done) if it's a turbo header (especially a bottom mount) you can rig up a support bracket of some kind to take stress off of it and it'll probably last a loooong time.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:15:09 am »
hmmm the obx one just looks alot more legit..it has a suport bracket and a name brand badge on it that I would rest assured that the welds are going to be good and not cheap crap...  :-\
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:18:55 am »
hmmm the obx one just looks alot more legit..it has a suport bracket and a name brand badge on it that I would rest assured that the welds are going to be good and not cheap crap...  :-\

OBX stuff is a good budget brand from everything i've seen; maybe just stay away from their more complex parts (turbos and diffs)

But in the end, realize that all that stuff comes from the same vendors/factories, really the only difference between a company like OBX and a no name seller will be that if they have a brand they are trying to make a name from, generally they will have some quality control.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:22:00 am by remi raymond »

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:16:29 am »
I'm selling a DNP stainless header for 300 if your interested.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:53 am »
does it support the small 16g, and do you got pics?? good condition? new? excellent condition? i would be quite interested...how much would u ship it to victoria for?
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:33:16 pm »
DNP is WAY better than those.  Recognised brand, some actual R&D in it, good stuff.  $600 new.

As for discolouration, thats not only normal, but its cool as hell.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:35:57 pm »
DNP is WAY better than those.  Recognised brand, some actual R&D in it, good stuff.  $600 new.

As for discolouration, thats not only normal, but its cool as hell.

Yeah, when my Alltrac got a new downpipe it went purple and blue, looked awesome.