Author Topic: Huge oil leak  (Read 458 times)

Offline Kory Flansburg

Huge oil leak
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:57:42 pm »
was coming back from the drag races in Osoyoos, on my way back to Kelowna. Im at a stop light when i notice this ticking.. and right away i know im low on oil, so i i make my way to the closest gas station, i look down at the oil pressure gauge.. and theres absolutly no pressure. So i pull over on a road near the highway and shut her off fast as i can, (i recently "fixed" a cracked oil return line) i check the return hose where i fixed it..nothing..i pull the dip stick out and check the oil.. shows nothing. Then i notice theres oil all over my timeing belt, i called my dad to come pick me up in summerland, and he thinks its the crank seal thats leaking..

what are your thoughts?
- ARP head studs, HKS EVC @ 14-15 psi, K&N open air filter, GM 3" MAF-T Blow-Thru, Autometer Ultralite Boost Gauge. DNP SS manny w/ Tial 44mm, EVO3 ported o2 houseing, Full 3" exhaust.

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
Re: Huge oil leak
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:12:52 pm »
would be anything on the front side of the motor. from valve cover gasket, to cam seals, oil pump cover, to seals on the belt pulleys.  you are going to have to remove the timing belt cover upper and lower to isolate the leak. 
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:15:57 pm »
its not valve cover gasket, not cam seals, its lower then those, but thanks.. ill check everything else :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:34:29 pm by Kory Flansburg »
- ARP head studs, HKS EVC @ 14-15 psi, K&N open air filter, GM 3" MAF-T Blow-Thru, Autometer Ultralite Boost Gauge. DNP SS manny w/ Tial 44mm, EVO3 ported o2 houseing, Full 3" exhaust.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:06:15 pm »
ok, so lower than that, balance shaft seals(2x) or crank pulley, or maybe oil pump cover gasket.

Or cracked head or block

or blown head gasket
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:22:42 am »
Not a blown head gasket, i didnt find any water when i checked the oil, today after work ill check the rest.
Cracked block really.. i wasnt even beating the crap out of it, was only at 15psi, the only thing i did was a couple long pulls up some hills.

thanks for the input. :)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:54:02 am »
from my experience long pulls up hill are hard on my car...nothing as serious as your oil leak though, I went up a really steep hill in 2nd gear boostin at 14-15 and when i got to the top and parked the car, i was lettin it idle for a min or 2 and i noticed smoke comin out the cracks in the head and when i went out to pop the hood the exhaust manifold was cherry red and the dipstick popped up and sprayed little bits of oil on the manifold ... i thought she was going to catch 0n fire :| but after lettin it cool everything was fine but still to this day the stock 1g mani on the car has black scortch marks on it where it was i guess "burnt"
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:01:38 pm »
lol wow, hawwt. well hopefully its nothing to major, do you have to pull the motor if its the crank seal/pulley whatever its called?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:09:52 pm »
Kory, a blown head gasket can have several symptoms, only one of them being oil in the water.  Also, usually you don't actually find water in the oil, as you may know water and oil don't like to mix, so your oil will look like a coffee milkshake if water is getting in.  But there are lots of other symptoms of a blown head gasket, one being lots of oil leaking out between the head and block.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »
friggin finally.. found the leak, it was the balance shaft seal.
soo now i have to go order one  :-\