Author Topic: My Birthday  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Drew Sale

Re: My Birthday
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 01:37:21 pm »
Way way cheaper to maintain? If I had that 308 I wouldn't exactly be worried about paying for maintenance haha
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »
Recently a good car mag(I think GRM) did a thing about now that we are older and our "dream" cars are cheapish now, how you can own one.

The Ferrari was a real deal killer.  Old Porsche turbos, BMW M3's, Lotus Esprit etc, all are kinda tricky to maintain, hard to find good shops to work on them and parts are more than for a normal car.  But they all do the great things we know they do.

The Ferrari 308/328(Magnum style and a bit newer) are affordable, yes, but they are slow, hard to drive, unreliable and still slow.  They were very dissapointed.

Then they started looking at maintenance items.  4 wheel brake job, $2500 US is a good example.  No matter how well you take care of your car, you will have to do brakes.  Clutch is $6000-$8000 depending on where you take it.  Break a door handle?  Good luck.  Have a mirror switch fail?  Yea right.  You simply can't go to Lordco/NAPA/Wakefields etc to get parts for these cars.  And I have been to many junk yards, and never have I seen a Ferrari in there  ;)

so, you could buy one(there are two on Craigslist right now for $25,000 and $29,000), but realistically you could never drive it or ensure it.

And if you could afford to buy it, drive it, maintain it and ensure it, you would probably buy something newer, faster, better handling and much much nicer to drive.

I have actually driven an 82 308GTS.  It was, frankly, a POS.  And it wasn't.  It was in beautiful shape, everything worked well, everything was in good shape.  Its just an Italian sportscar from a completely different era.  If you wanted the style, prestige etc of a Ferrari in those days, you just lived with the BS.

Now, newer ones are a completely different story, but they are 2-3x the price of the old ones, and are hugely expensive to maintain and ensure.

They sure as shit are sexy tho.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »
I just saw a lamborghini diablo in my hood and even if it was only parked in the driveway it would still be worth it!

I remember I went cruising in a convertible 1985 mercedes 500sl in the 90's and got looks, cat calls from girls and an older guy getting a taxi ride even asked me if it was mine, he looked very depressed after I said ya, why?
But the car in my opinion was a used $45000 pos. It had no power, poor handling, although it did have heated seats and a mercedes badge. The new ones have better handling and more power but cost 3x that.

Honestly, I would rather have a modded miata before I would get that mercedes or just settle for the diablo! ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:26:08 pm by Robert Vorley »
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »
Lambo all the way, Ferrari's are just too race and not enough street for me.

Murciela SV

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:43:55 pm by Mikael Mikkelsen »

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 05:31:53 pm »
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »
check this shiat out. !      y buy one. lol

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/diy_guy_building_himself_a_lam.php
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Clayton Ulmer

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »
Those 4 cars on display in the window are from the owners personal collection.  He is a big realestate businessman.  This dealership use to be on Clark near venables. (a really weird and kinda scuzzy place to have a ferrari dealership.)  The new one in the picture has been open for almost a year now.  Last time I was in there no one could go up to look at the cars, not even the staff, because the building code hadnt been aproved yet to use the elevator to get up there.  its ultra cool way to display his cars!
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline jesse dobbin

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
This is what I want for my bday! ;D

you and me both brother  ;D
1995 talon tsi sold
1997 talon 275hp sold
1gb talon tsi awdsold
2g talon (work in progress) sold
92 talon awd

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 11:58:29 am »
check this shiat out. !      y buy one. lol

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/diy_guy_building_himself_a_lam.php

This guy is friends with my buddy. I met him and he was showing us English wheel techniques. Cool guy with too much time on his hands.