Author Topic: I wanna go fast  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
I wanna go fast
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:24 pm »
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
I wanna go fast
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:09:35 pm »
and how many pounds did you save there? probably not enough.
i think its easier to make more power, than to strip weight from our cars to make any difference.
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline Martin Raska

I wanna go fast
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »
89 lbs.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jared Grant

I wanna go fast
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 08:45:57 pm »
thats like the difference between 2 drivers weights, not going to make much difference at all.
90 tsi awd. ssqv, tubular header, no cat.

Offline Martin Raska

I wanna go fast
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:35 pm »
I was surprised it weighed so much.  That is serious weight.  Do that a couple times.

I probably won't keep it like this, but since it is out, it is tempting.  8)

Offline John Hartman

I wanna go fast
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:37:27 pm »
lookin serious Martin  :)

and on that note, weight is the enemy of acceleration. And acceleration is not just on the "forward" axis.  Braking and left and right turning are also effected by vehicle weight. And a lighter car "feels" lighter too, very nice to drive for motorsports, not comfort.

As well you can run smaller effective(read lighter) brakes, smaller (quicker spooling) turbo and more streetable, torquey cams and have an equivalent power/weight ratio to a very powerful but very heavy car.

also, a light car has less stress on all its driveline parts, clutch, axles, gears etc.

and hey, you will get better fuel economy too  ;)

89 lbs is a good deal of weight.  I have taken 200lbs out of mine since it was stock.  My cabin area is virtually stock however. Altho with the addition of the bigger turbo and (moreso) the 2 piston brakes/big rotors, I may have to re-weigh it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

I wanna go fast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:20 pm »
I'm not ready to gut the car, I am actually trying to clean it up moreso than it has been for the last year or two.  A lot of dust get's collected in there!  There are some places to save quite a bit of weight.  It hits a plateau quickly it looks like.  For the weight though, I'd love to have a lighter car.  I just don't have the heart to do that to a daily driver.  I wouldn't mind to sell it either.  Time for something a little newer, and different.  I can't be bothered to sell it though, hopefully somebody comes and just offers me some money.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

I wanna go fast
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:06:31 pm »
Maybe now's a good time to throw in the Haltech harness.  Not even wire the whole thing up.  Just route it and leave it there for when you're ready to get it going.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Scott Girvin

I wanna go fast
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:53 am »
First you shake....then you bake. Did that just HAPPEN!!!!

PS: You're not on fire Ricky Bobby.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
I wanna go fast
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 12:33:06 pm »
You're on the right path, now dump those blood red seats, carpet and door panels, it will go even faster  :twisted:

PS: Looks like windshield can go too.

Offline Kevin Standeven

I wanna go fast
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 04:34:14 pm »
It looks like one of those 14 second Hondas at Mission. Fast, sans class!
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Mike Meron

I wanna go fast
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 05:30:52 pm »
i shit bigger things that martin, so it just shows if i dieted to martin's size i coulda been in the 9's.

Offline Ryan Singh

I wanna go fast
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 10:28:45 pm »
You guys are gonna laugh, but since we're on the topic...a couple years ago, I put my cf hood on, quite the weight reduction :)  But then two weeks later I gutted my rear hatch and put in a 110lb boom box.  :laugh:

Just my two cents.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Martin Raska

I wanna go fast
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 12:26:21 am »
Quote from: "Mike Meron"
i shit bigger things that martin, so it just shows if i dieted to martin's size i coulda been in the 9's.

How's the 6 banger running?  You still got that?

Offline Mike Meron

I wanna go fast
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 02:31:20 pm »
fuck man the ting works like a top... except for the oil leak, go figure same deal as a dsm... dripping oil everywhere LOL..