Author Topic: AirCare ...  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Andrew Scott

AirCare ...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 01:07:34 am »
A wideband would help here too, as itll tell you about any spikes you have throughout the revrange
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Scott Ashizawa

AirCare ...
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 03:29:04 am »
Quote from: "David Lee"
Sorry, I can't help with the current topic.  But I was wondering since we're talking about aircare, will they fail you for excessive noise caused by an o2 dump?

I went though with a dump tube and they didnt automatically fail me, but I failed because the exhaust was dumping pre cats and didnt get them hot enough to operate properly.
1992 Talon TSI AWD

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
AirCare ...
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:57 pm »
Quote from: "KevinBuckham"
Once you check your baset timing, and verify that you really aren't running rich, I can lend you my old stock 450cc injectors.  Not that they are perfect (but I had no issues with them), it might rule out your injectors being the culprit.

How well is your O2 sensor cycling?  Does it look like it's on it's last legs? If it is cycling a bit slow you could run rich for a little while after coming off power.   I can lend you my old O2 sensor as well.  It wasn't dead yet either, but it could allow you to narrow the problem down further.

Good luck.

Thanks Kevin, I'll likely hit you up on the offer of the stock injectors. I'd like to eliminate that as a possible failure point.

The o2 is brand new, as in this weekend-new.

I'll likely get the wide-band on there shortly.

Saturday was when the insurance was due to expire, at 3pm after my 12th fail, I decided to take a chance and put a day's insurance on my '94 NT.  $33 for the permit and $47 for the aircare test... got a fast-pass.  So, the NT that's been sitting for over a year passes with flying colours and the TSi continues to fail.  

This subject isn't dead, far from it actually.  But next weekend is the Shootout and the weekend after is a family-event... so a slight break in the aircare work for me.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline David Lee

AirCare ...
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 02:16:12 pm »
If your maxing out at 1-3psi of boost at WOT with WG disconnected, you might be high on HC because of the unburnt gas, considering its 94.  Try 91 or 92?  I'm not sure how much MH would affect 94oct if its not on boost.

Offline KevinBuckham

AirCare ...
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 11:05:03 am »
Andrew, I'll be in Vancouver tomorrow.  Let me know if you want them tomorrow then then I will pack them tonight.  :)

-Kevin

Offline Andrew Steele

AirCare ...
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 01:39:13 pm »
Thanks for the injetors, Kevin :) Pleasure meeting you as well!

I'll keep everyone up to date as progress is made.

-Andrew
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
AirCare ...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 07:23:42 am »
This is a painful thread.  I thought one of your injectors was leaking?!  Hopefully swapping them out for stockers will be the fix.  Insuring the NT was a good decision... hope you keep it that way.
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Offline Kimyee Lai

AirCare ...
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 07:58:45 pm »
I looked through my archive and found this post from a friend:

"I remember a few years back it took me quite a few tries (5 or so) to pass aircare.  In the end I put in
1. stock injectors
2. Induced leaks post cat, pre restrictor in exhaust (i.e. metal piece with 1.5" hole cut in it inserted on flanged connection, post cat and post leak.
3. Turning to lean out ( I was pretty rich)
4. Low boost 8psi
5. Mohawk 94 Oct.
6. Boost recirc reintroduced.

I think it was a function of the injectors and probably the leak the did the trick.  Although the person doing the test also seems to make a big difference.  Maybe it was coincidence, but the guy doing the passing test was a lot smoother on the throttle than hammering it on and off.  I don't apologize too much for the "cheating" because after $150 spent on aircare, enough was enough.

This year, all I did was change plugs.  They were WAY overdue anyway, probably had about 100k kms on copper plugs, and I flew through aircare.
Was it because I was driving a civic?  Possibly ;)."

Hope this helps!

Offline Andrew Steele

AirCare ...
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 10:50:04 am »
Quote from: "Jeff Armstrong"
This is a painful thread.  I thought one of your injectors was leaking?!  Hopefully swapping them out for stockers will be the fix.  Insuring the NT was a good decision... hope you keep it that way.

The leaky injector was on the 550's that aren't in the car.   I had too many tuning issues w/ those 550's and swapped the stockers back in quite a while ago.

The NT has proven to be a good decision so far - multiple trips to and from the Seattle area are easier to do in a car that sips fuel instead of guzzling it. 1/4 tank per trip, and the rest of tank lasts me all week till I go back again. :)
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

AirCare ...
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Definetly an interesting link.  I don't fully agree with all the information in this link, specifically how it compares alcohols and I don't like the arbitrary values given for gains on cars that they won't disclose but it's definetly something you can try.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Andrew Steele

AirCare ...
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 10:59:33 pm »
So, after a shit-ton of money, countless tests, much swearing and assistance from a number of members, SHE PASSED!!!!!  I feel like I've just won the freakin lottery.

Here's the numbers...

HC - .5 allow / .4125 reading (.2965 avg)
CO - 9.32 allow / 1.2749 reading (4.6090 avg)
NOx - 1.24 allow / 0.1594 reading (0.7309 avg)

Work done:
New cat (thnx Tommy :)), new O2, 2G 450cc injectors (thnx Kevin :)), unmolested 1G MAF (thnx Tommy :)), base timing @ +5 (thnx Jovan :)), zero'd AFC, Chevron 94, EGR in place, pcv in place.

The high HC count is likely due to oil in the intake from the valve-cover breather & leaking turbo seals.  breather's been resolved, but turbo's yet to be rebuilt.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else when their DSM decides to be difficult at aircare time.
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

AirCare ...
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 09:32:03 pm »
Congratulations Andrew.  It was definetly funny to watch the first aircare guy stall your car THREE times only to not actually accelerate during the acceleration portion of the test.  I've never seen a brown man blush but that's the closest thing to seeing it. :laugh:
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Andrew Steele

AirCare ...
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 02:08:48 am »
Quote from: "Jovan Ceklaj"
Congratulations Andrew.  It was definetly funny to watch the first aircare guy stall your car THREE times only to not actually accelerate during the acceleration portion of the test.  I've never seen a brown man blush but that's the closest thing to seeing it. :laugh:

Yeah, someone coulnd't drive stick eh... good thing the car failed the test before it could complete.  Failing to downshift to 2nd when the test tells you to leaves you boggin when tryin to accelerate up that hill climb.  idiot...
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
AirCare ...
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 10:47:57 am »
I hate going thru AirCare just for the fact that some mindless noob high on exhaust gases will be riding my whip  :evil:  :x, and the failing part too  :laugh: