Author Topic: 2g Tuning  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Trev_Scott

2g Tuning
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »
Ok, so last night I finally got some time to go out and tune my car. I’m currently tuning 22psi for daily driving.
My question is, in a second and third gear pull to redline I get a nice steady timing curve 11* up to 18* by red. But when I got the chance to do a pull in forth my timing fluctuated between 14* and 15* from when I got into fourth all the way to red...? Why would my timing be different in forth then the rest and how would I correct this?
Thanks.
Trev
- 04 Audi A4 1.8t - (Slightly modded)
- 95 Tsi - Ported sbr mani with tial38, evo3 turbo/O2, 650's, aro afpr,
wineboro 255, 10.5x28x3.5 XS-PWR fmic, Type-s, MBC,
Apexi N1 DP/Exhaust, Maf GenII  3.5" maf, Pocket logger,
Innovate LC1, Stage3 eprom,  poly mounts, act2600/flywheel
BS removed *RIP

Offline Andrew Scott

2g Tuning
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:58:27 pm »
The extra load caused by the fourth gear ratio is causing the motor to knock, therefore pulling timing?

Just a thought, you may be right on the knock threshold.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Mike Schmid

2g Tuning
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 06:36:49 pm »
I don't see a FMIC or upgraded IC in your sig, you might also be heat soaking your IC in 4th.  It is a much longer pull than 2nd or 3rd after all, 22psi also makes for alot of heat to dissipate.  

Did you try backing the boost down a little, 2 or 3 psi, and seeing what happens?  It's kind of a guessing game unless you can get a proper log of it with knock, timing, IPW etc.  1Gs rule!   :P
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
2g Tuning
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:26:49 pm »
yes, i have tried the same thing when i'm turning. there is definately alot more load ont 4th gear, rather than 3rd. I can also see the difference in afr, as my 4th gear is alot more lean than my 3rd.

yea, also a fmic would definately help the heat soakage.
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline Trev_Scott

2g Tuning
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:06:49 pm »
Thanks for the reply's.
Ya a bigger ic is next on my list. I'm just trying to decide if i should go with a bigger side mount or go front mount. I really would like to have a front mount, but cooling would be an issue. Also if i go with a front mount i want it to fully fill in the bumper (for a clean look). Unfortunately the bigger you go the harder it is to keep things cool. It doesn't help that i have a blitz front kit and the opening on that is huge, i would have to get a massive ic 8) .
As for the timing, there isn't any way of adding fuel in fourth gear, and not effecting the others is there?
- 04 Audi A4 1.8t - (Slightly modded)
- 95 Tsi - Ported sbr mani with tial38, evo3 turbo/O2, 650's, aro afpr,
wineboro 255, 10.5x28x3.5 XS-PWR fmic, Type-s, MBC,
Apexi N1 DP/Exhaust, Maf GenII  3.5" maf, Pocket logger,
Innovate LC1, Stage3 eprom,  poly mounts, act2600/flywheel
BS removed *RIP

Offline Andrew Scott

2g Tuning
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 03:20:10 am »
If you had a super hi-po engine management system you could possibly do it. With an AFC.... no.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!

Offline William Frederickson

2g Tuning
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 12:09:24 pm »
Quote from: "Trev_Scott"
Thanks for the reply's.
Ya a bigger ic is next on my list. I'm just trying to decide if i should go with a bigger side mount or go front mount. I really would like to have a front mount, but cooling would be an issue. Also if i go with a front mount i want it to fully fill in the bumper (for a clean look). Unfortunately the bigger you go the harder it is to keep things cool. It doesn't help that i have a blitz front kit and the opening on that is huge, i would have to get a massive ic 8) .
As for the timing, there isn't any way of adding fuel in fourth gear, and not effecting the others is there?

Ive got the biggest FMIC you can put on 2g's and the only time i ever see an issue with cooling is doing around 140 on the hwy and boosting......... If im not boosting, the temp goes up a bit.  I also have a stock cooling system and I guess with some better fans would help as well.

Offline William Frederickson

2g Tuning
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 07:33:44 pm »
Quote from: "William Frederickson"
Quote from: "Trev_Scott"
Thanks for the reply's.

Ive got the biggest FMIC you can put on 2g's and the only time i ever see an issue with cooling is doing around 140 on the hwy and boosting......... If im not boosting, the temp goes up a bit.  I also have a stock cooling system and I guess with some better fans would help as well.

Ok, so if anyone was out in the Frser Valley they know how hot it was today............ Anyways, even after the +35 deg temp out today I didn't even overheat.  I was on fire in the car, but my temps were still below 220 deg.  After today though im thinking about going with some 1400cfm fans.

Offline Andrew Scott

2g Tuning
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 01:25:38 am »
Cool the engine bay off so much that it'd be cooler to ride under the hood?